Events for programatically added controls

John Austin

I am new to asp.net. I need to create a form programatically. I could use
Response.Write to create html input fields and the Request.Form collection,
but there is the Placeholder conbtrol that can be used to add controls on the
fly. However, I can't see how to respond to events raised by the dynamically
added controls. How can you hook up the events?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi John,

You can add the control in Page_Load, for example:

Button btn = new Button();
btn.ID = "newButton1";
btn.Text = "New Button";
btn.Click += new EventHandler(btn_Click);
PlaceHolder1.Controls.Add(btn);
}

void btn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Response.Write("clicked from new button");

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

John Austin

I guess this should be obvious, but how do you code
btn.Click += new EventHandler(btn_Click);
in VB?

AddHandler btn.Click, AddressOf btn_Click

underlines the btn.Click as an error

Thanks

John Austin

Sorry Walter, I had a typo in the program, it works fine.
I had
Dim btn = New Button()
instead of
Dim btn as New Button()