Events without Binding?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Gary K, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    Greetings & Salutations,
    I have been tearing my hair out for a couple of days now, trying to get a
    datagrid to function without viewstate & without re-binding and I am
    wondering if anyone has any ideas? (Specifically, I want to fire events
    without a full DataBind) I know this is more a datagrid question but I am
    also posting in the webcontrols group jic someone knows something.

    I am trying to get the smallest page load speed possible, which means
    cutting down the viewstate to a bare minimum & reducing sql transactions. It
    is easy to remove most of the viewstate and still have a functioning
    datagrid, thanks to articles by several authors (thanks people). However, in
    doing so, the page makes at least two sql transactions in a postback. The
    first occurs with the first DataBind call, that resyncs the control with the
    form data & fires the events. While the second is the one that the users see
    the results from, usually after Select/Edit/Update/Delete buttons/links have
    been clicked.

    I have worked out (logically at least :) ) how to get the datagrid to
    work without needing the first bind, but now the events will not fire. Does
    anyone know how to do this? I have been looking in the .NET source for half
    the day now and I can't figure it out yet. Any help would be vastly
    appreciated .... thanks!

    Gary K, Sep 14, 2004