EVIL Matrox Graphics Inc , STEALS MGA Settings/VIRTUAL DESKTOP from Windows 98, 2000 etc

rogerclive

Perhaps, there is no bigger sleazy company in the entire Maple Republic
( Canada ) than Matrox Graphics Inc.

I paid $100+ through my nose circa 1999 for Matrox Millenium II and
Mystique.

It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.
Guess what?

The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop, and
the essence
was in "MGA Settings" . Here you could make a virtual desktop four
times or more
than your monitor area. then using a touchpad with proper acceleration
you could
pan from one end to the other by a single stroke on your touch pad. It
was extremely
helpful and allowed you to do work on a small cheap monitor or LCD with
the comfort
of a large screen.

Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98, Win
2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly
identifiable
and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of non-sequitor bells and
whistles
and robbed its customers of the jewel. The virtual desktop.

What irritated me most about these crooked and evil canadians is that
they lecture
the whole world about environmentalism and environment. What this
criminally evil
company has done is: It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more
exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown
away
and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the
desktop
software without it.

I have put this analysis over the months. I ask every potential
customer of their
cards to ask this company if they are going to play this
evil-intentioned and
thinly disguised game with all their cards. I urge you to refuse of
bycott their
products ... till they rectify their negative sum business strategy.

Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards. We are talking about
20 million dollars worth of pollution and destruction.

A deceived Customer

The Essential question:
Cant this company recompile the old driver software which suppored
virtual desktop or the "MGA Settings" feature (which allowed you to
change the size of view area and displayed area independently) with the
libraries of later microsoft operating systems ?

Mxsmanic

The main feature in the Matrox Inc Video cards was their desktop ...

Actually the main feature of their cards is the hardware. The desktop
is a useless gadget, and I never even bother to install it.
Guess what this evil master-mind did ? In the software for Win 98, Win
2K and perhaps other versions, it downgraded its desktop in a clearly
identifiable and treacherous way. It added a whole bunch of
non-sequitor bells and whistles and robbed its customers of the
jewel. The virtual desktop.

Everything except the driver itself is _already_ a "bell and whistle,"
so why complain?

The safe way to use video cards is to install nothing except the correct
driver. This is often true for most other types of hardware as well.
Using proprietary software provided by a hardware company is an
invitation to trouble, in part because it locks you into a specific
environment and configuration, and in part because the software provided
by hardware companies is often very poorly written. It's a wonder if
the drivers work, much less the rest.
It has created pollution worth $150 or so, more exactly
the cost/selling price of the card for every card that will be thrown
away and destroyed because they stole away the main module and compiled the
desktop software without it.

Most people don't care about the extra gadgets and just buy the cards
for the hardware.
Matrox must have sold atleast 200,000 such cards.

And perhaps 20 customers actually use their gadget software with the
cards.

Shan

Mxsmanic said:

[...]

directly.

Anyway this totally Off-topic on comp.lang.c++

J. Clarke

[...]

What are you on about? I've got virtual desktop working fine on Windows 98
and Windows 2000.

daytripper

On 2 Jan 2005 21:08:15 -0800, (e-mail address removed) mindlessly spewed:
["content" snipped and flushed]

you "upgraded" from NT4 to Windows98?

lmao! what a maroon!

rogerclive

What are you on about? I've got virtual desktop working fine on Windows 98
and Windows 2000.

Indeed, ignoramus is a bliss.

I just called the technical support at matrox graphics Inc.

Matrox Graphics Inc.
1055 St. Regis blvd.
Dorval, Quebec
Canada H9P 2T4
Tel: (514) 822-6000

The technical support person said:
"
We have had too many problems with virtual desktop ... that we decided
to take the virtual desktop out of the driver software.

It is neither in XP nor in 2000. You must use the older NT4.0 if you
want
to use that feature. "

After conferring with someone, she said, "

They are working on it.

If you want to get any information to help yourself (if you are a
programmer)
send an email to (e-mail address removed)

"

Hey, I say: either fire these incompetentos or get the software
running. Can
any driver programmer comment on it?

I mean I can pick up a cheap video card for $10-20 new and used for
$5-10.
These matrox cards are excellent IF AND ONLY IF the virtual desktop
works.
Otherwise, they are worthless. I paid Matrox graphics Inc money in
hundreds
of US dollars.

If they can't fix the software, then they should release the NT MGA
software
source (that compiles to their WORKING NT driver) so that we will port
it to XP/2K and fix it ourselves and show their management why they
should fire their crew and hire better ones from
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.drivers .

I am ccing a copy of this post from this democratic forum to their
(e-mail address removed), since their company forum is censored and
undemocratic ...

It is amazing how this sleazy company does not come out open on their
web
site with their incompetence that they took the crown jewel out and now
it
is all worthless scrap.

Millions of those swindled by matrox graphics inc of Canada paid for
the
functionality. And it is normal to expect a company support their cards
with
normal software upgrades since they are primarily windows ( and that
was the only OS for public - on intel platform - till linux came along
) so that is
implicit in contract.

Otherwise we will expose the false PR of this company. Their are
hundreds of
thousands of their frustrated customers who cannot upgrade from NT as
they are
now held hostage to Matrox graphics Inc of Canada ...

Stefan Monnier

I paid $100+ through my nose circa 1999 for Matrox Millenium II and
Mystique.
It works well under NT4.0 however, a month ago I upgraded to Win 98.
Guess what?

Why don't you upgrade to GNU/Linux instead?
Millenium II is very well supported there.

Stefan

Jonathan Mcdougall

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de (e-mail address removed)...

I don't know about the other groups, but could you remove c.l.c++ from the