exam 70-536, is it about vb.net or c# or both?

Jeff

hi

My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam. I see on the web
that there are 2 versions of it. One with vb.net and another with c#. Thinks
that is a bit strange. He assigned about 10 exams he wants me to complete, I
see now that about 95% of the exams involve vb.net but it's C# we are
using....

any suggestions?

Mr. Arnold

Jeff said:
hi

My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam. I see on the web
that there are 2 versions of it. One with vb.net and another with c#. Thinks
that is a bit strange. He assigned about 10 exams he wants me to complete, I
see now that about 95% of the exams involve vb.net but it's C# we are
using....

any suggestions?

Any exam should cover both of the languages. You'll see that the MS
Press books for a given exam has the VB and C# examples in it.

What exams are you talking about that you have issues with vb as opposed C#?

Jeff

I thought that each exam had a specific code, so exams for vb.net should
have a different code than exams for c#..
So lets say (just as an example) that c# version is 70-536 and vb.net exam
have code 70-538.
Atleast the exams did have that about 3 years ago.

Okay I think I have to look up the link at microsoft which tells what the
exams are about. think that will remove the confusion I have.
Currently been looking at skillsoft.com

Mr. Arnold

Jeff said:
I thought that each exam had a specific code, so exams for vb.net should
have a different code than exams for c#..

It's the same exam. Just like you have MS Press books for exam study and
practice that have VB and C# code examples in the book that cover a
given topic.

One takes the exam for VB or one takes the exam for C#. The code is only
different in the syntax of the language being used, but namespaces and
code used to solve the problem should be the same and only synthetically
different. It's the same test covering the same exam topics.

You shouldn't worry about it and just take the C# path on the exams.

Mark Rae [MVP]

My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam.

I hope you've been promised a huge pay rise, because there's no other reason
to take any of these "certifications" - not worth the paper they're printed
on...

Mr. Arnold

Mark said:
I hope you've been promised a huge pay rise, because there's no other
reason to take any of these "certifications" - not worth the paper
they're printed on...

That's not true. Each one of the certs I have taken have raised my
expertise and awareness level, which at one point I have implemented
something into applications such as Windows desktop application, console
application, Windows service application, Web service application, WCF
service application and ASP.NET UI application.

Vertical design and development from the UI to the DAL based on things I
learned in doing the cert processes does come into play at each layer in
a lot of cases.

And those certs do count on the resume, particularly contractor's
resume, because they will hire one with experience and certs, expecting
they will get the bang for the buck.

I only have 3 certs, but the process of studying for the certs is a
process that only improves one's overall knowledge, expertise and skill set.

Thos MS Press cert books are good reference books. :)

Mark Rae [MVP]

And those certs do count on the resume, particularly contractor's resume,
because they will hire one with experience and certs, expecting they will
get the bang for the buck.

That's 100% incorrect. Certifications do not equate to experience - quite
the reverse...

Mr. Arnold

Mark Rae said:
That's 100% incorrect. Certifications do not equate to experience - quite
the reverse...

I have to say that you're 100% wrong here, as I have seen those
certifications come into play in getting contracts in addition to the
experince being considered when I have won the assigment to work for the
client.

Also, contracting firms that have a MS Gold Partnership have consultants
working for the frim that have been certified in order for the firm to be
granted the Gold partnership.

If you think those certs don't count, then you're not correct. They do
count. Maybe, you don't think they count, becuase you have not been is a
situation where that cert does count.

Gregory A. Beamer

Jeff said:
hi

My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam. I see on the web
that there are 2 versions of it. One with vb.net and another with c#.
Thinks that is a bit strange. He assigned about 10 exams he wants me to
complete, I see now that about 95% of the exams involve vb.net but it's C#
we are using....

any suggestions?

I would bring this up to him. The language should not matter overall, but it
does make more sense to cert in the language you want.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld