Example for a VB application creating multiple ASP sessions?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by AIMTech, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. AIMTech

    AIMTech Guest

    We have an IIS+ASP based application server that is capable of providing
    complex reports to hundreds of users but in some circumstances these reports
    can take a long time to create. However the data for the report is cached
    so subsequent calls to view the same report come back with a sub-second
    response time.

    In order to make use of this caching we pre-prepare some of the reports by
    getting back a list of potential users from the server and then executing
    reports on their behalf. When the real users log in the report is served
    from the cache.

    I wrote the warm caching application using VB6 and it uses XMLHTTP requests
    to execute the reports. However because ASP serializes the requests to the
    server the application can only have a single session open with the server.
    To get round this I spawn multiple instances of the application, each
    instance then has its own ASP session and the server is loaded more
    efficiently.

    The question is how can I create multiple ASP sessions from within a single
    VB application and have each session handle its own XMLHTTP requests? Its
    obviously possible as MACT, OpenSTA and LoadRunner all achieve it. If
    anybody could point me at a VB example I'd appreciate it.

    Regards

    David
    AIMTech, Jan 26, 2005