Example of authentication code needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ted, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I have read a lot about how ASP.NET uses IIS for authentication, and
    how the default database server is MS SQL Server Express. But I have
    the developer's version of MS SQL Server 2005 (along with MS Visual
    Studio 2005, and I downloaded .NET v 3.0)

    But, I also have MySQL and PostgreSQL installed, and I'd like to be
    able to use any of the three database servers to support
    authentication.

    Also, is it possible to mix ASP.NET v2 or v3 (on IIS) pages with ASP
    pages (written in Perl and deployed on Apache webserver) and JSP and
    servlets (probably with some pages running on Tomcat and others on,
    e.g., Sun's application server)? Call me paranoid, but I don't to
    leave all my security eggs in one basket, unless it proves to be
    impossible to find a way to develop a combination (e.g. JScript for
    client side validation, Perl for server side validation, Security
    services available in Java for JSP and servlets, database servers that
    will respond only to requests that come from a machine on the same
    subnet and behind the same firewall, &c.).

    What I want to do can't be that unusual! Can anyone point me to a
    documented example, in which the documentation discusses pros and cons
    and best practices for making web applications as secure as
    practicable? Unfortunately, all my references that discuss web
    application security focus on a single technology and none discuss the
    pros and cons and "how to" of using different technologies together.

    Thanks

    Ted

    Ted, Jan 6, 2007