Example of HTML5 to be viewed on 4 commom browsers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwdjrxyz, Sep 19, 2010.

  1. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    It now appears possible to write many pages in html5 that appear
    nearly the same on four of the most common recent browers - Firefox,
    Opera, Safari, and IE8. The greatest problem is poor support by IE 8,
    although IE 9 is supposed to have considerably more html5 support. A
    page that looks good on the 3 other browsers mentioned often looks
    rather anemic on IE 8, although it often is at least readable. There
    have been a few scripts that will force IE to support much of html5
    that it does not now support. Using one of these scripts, IE8 often
    displays well unless of course script is turned off. However script is
    used so often on other html5 capable browsers, that you will have to
    turn script on and off for all browsers to check if response to script
    being off is important to you.

    I have a page at http://www.cwdjr.net/html5/layoutDemoWithIEfix.html .
    This page starts off with an example of several kinds of code unique
    to html5. This comes from an example from a new book with a chapter
    on html5 to illustrate some of the code. However the script for IE I
    use is a newer one from Google that will do more. See the source code
    for comments. I have added some video using the new <video> tag when
    possible. First, I recently posted an example of valid video code in
    html5 that is in fact exactly the code that works on xhtml. Thus you
    can still use previous video code and not have to worry about the new
    <video> tag. The various browsers have the option in html5 of having a
    "house" video type support that does not depend on a commercial player
    such as WMP, flv/swf, Real, or QT being installed on the computer. To
    get around using commercial players the "house" player most commonly
    being used is ogg based with both Firefox and Opera now using an ogg
    base in connection with use of <video>. In the case of Safari, ogg
    does not seem to be a "house" format, at least yet. However Safari
    will accept mp4, as will some other browsers, but it does not stream
    and download time can be excessive for long videos. However one can
    use .mov format that has been prompted to stream. One can feed a mp4
    file into the pay Pro QT player and then output it as a prompted .mov
    file so that it will stream. I could not get the <video> tag to work
    properly in the script-patched IE8, and it seems to have no "house"
    format in the context of html5. However for it I can use conventional
    ActiveX Microsoft video code inside a Microsoft conditional comment
    path to stream flv/swf. For myself, I now see no advantage in using
    the <video> tag of html5. However if one works for a profit-making
    large corporation, there may be other considerations. If you use the
    video player from another company and even use mp4 or mp3, you may
    have to pay rights owners or get sued. This would be especially true
    for a company that uses a commercial player format from another
    company as the built in "house" player. If html5 becomes popular over
    the next many years, there likely will be a "house" video format war
    that is much greater than the browser war of many years ago.
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 19, 2010

  2. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 18, 7:49 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]
    > properly in the script-patched IE8, and it seems to have no "house"
    > format in the context of html5. However for it I can use conventional
    > ActiveX Microsoft video code inside a Microsoft conditional comment
    > path to stream flv/swf. For myself, I now see no advantage in using
    > the <video> tag of html5. However if one works for a profit-making
    > large corporation, there may be other considerations. If you use the
    > video player from another company and even use mp4 or mp3, you may
    > have to pay rights owners or get sued. This would be especially true
    > for a company that uses a commercial player format from another
    > company as the built in "house" player. If html5 becomes popular over
    > the next many years, there likely will be a "house" video format war
    > that is much greater than the browser war of many years ago.

    I now have added an example of the html5 <audio> tag support. It works
    much as does the <video>. Both Firefox and Opera will accept an audio
    ogg file as "house" supported input. Safari will not accept ogg, but
    will accept an aiff file, and it will stream without running through a
    QT Pro player to hint. Much as for video, I used a Microsoft ActiveX
    object for Flash audio, since IE9 apparently does not support a
    "house" audio for html5.
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 21, 2010

  3. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Sep 21, 12:20 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > video player from another company and even use mp4 or mp3, you may
    > > have to pay rights owners or get sued. This would be especially true
    > > for a company that uses a commercial player format from another
    > > company as the built in "house" player. If html5 becomes popular over
    > > the next many years, there likely will be a "house" video format war
    > > that is much greater than the browser war of many years ago.

    > I now have added an example of the html5 <audio> tag support. It works
    > much as does the <video>. Both Firefox and Opera will accept an audio
    > ogg file as "house" supported input. Safari will not accept ogg, but
    > will accept an aiff file, and it will stream without running through a
    > QT Pro player to hint. Much as for video, I used a Microsoft ActiveX
    > object for Flash audio, since IE9 apparently does not support a

    I just downloaded IE 9 beta, and it does support more of html5.

    I have now found out that at least IE7, IE8, and IE9 beta will support
    html5 code on the demo page. IE7 and IE8 require the script I used at
    the top of the page, but IE 9 beta does not. Thus I have changed the
    code with a different Microsoft comment around the script that only
    introduces the script for IE versions less than 9. If you attempt to
    use the <video> of html5 on IE9 beta only, it does make an attempt to
    work. It reserves a space for the video and will show a "poster" in
    that video space such as a jpg. However it will not show "controls"
    and it will not respond to any video file type, such as .wmv, that I
    have tried. Of course with IE9 now being in beta, it could change a
    bit before the official release. The updated page is at:
    http://www.cwdjr.net/html5/layoutDemoWithIEfix2.html . I am still
    using Microsoft objects to display the video and audio for now for IE
    browsers. Although I am using flv/swf, you should be aware that there
    also are ActiveX objects to support many other formats including wmv,
    wma, Real formats, and QT formats.
    cwdjrxyz, Sep 23, 2010