Examples/manuals/tutorials/guides of C++ programs/code in Physics

horacius.rex

Hi all,

I am a physicist learning C++. I know f77 pretty well and I have
developed a lot of fortran software for the simulation of molecules,
etc. As I am at the beginning of learning and I am a practical person,
I wonder where I could find examples (or manuals/tutorials/guides) of
C++ code for programs (or objects, etc) developed for physicists for
the simulation of molecules or other aspects of physics. I think in
this way it would be easier for me to learn the complicated aspects of
C++ (heritance, classes, etc) that does not exist in fortran; I believe
that looking to the code, once I have understood the physics of the
program, would let me easily to understand the programming technique.

Thanks !

mlimber

I am a physicist learning C++. I know f77 pretty well and I have
developed a lot of fortran software for the simulation of molecules,
etc. As I am at the beginning of learning and I am a practical person,
I wonder where I could find examples (or manuals/tutorials/guides) of
C++ code for programs (or objects, etc) developed for physicists for
the simulation of molecules or other aspects of physics. I think in
this way it would be easier for me to learn the complicated aspects of
C++ (heritance, classes, etc) that does not exist in fortran; I believe
that looking to the code, once I have understood the physics of the
program, would let me easily to understand the programming technique.

For learning C++, get a *good* book, or better -- several books (see
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html#faq-28.4).
The programming-by-example guide that most of us like best is
_Accelerated C++_ by Koenig and Moo. It teaches the right way to
program from the ground up.

You might also consult the extensive collection of book reviews at
accu.org.

Cheers! --M

Peter Jansson

Hi all,

I am a physicist learning C++. I know f77 pretty well and I have
developed a lot of fortran software for the simulation of molecules,
etc. As I am at the beginning of learning and I am a practical person,
I wonder where I could find examples (or manuals/tutorials/guides) of
C++ code for programs (or objects, etc) developed for physicists for
the simulation of molecules or other aspects of physics. I think in
this way it would be easier for me to learn the complicated aspects of
C++ (heritance, classes, etc) that does not exist in fortran; I believe
that looking to the code, once I have understood the physics of the
program, would let me easily to understand the programming technique.

Thanks !

Hi,

You might find the Root framework (http://root.cern.ch) useful even
though it is quite large.

Sincerely,

Peter Jansson
http://www.p-jansson.com/
http://www.jansson.net/

horacius.rex

Thanks a lot although I think this is some complicated for a beginner
like me.

thanks.

Peter Jansson ha escrito:

BobR

(e-mail address removed) wrote in message
Hi all,

I am a physicist learning C++. I know f77 pretty well and I have
developed a lot of fortran software for the simulation of molecules,
etc. As I am at the beginning of learning and I am a practical person,
I wonder where I could find examples (or manuals/tutorials/guides) of
C++ code for programs (or objects, etc) developed for physicists for
the simulation of molecules or other aspects of physics. I think in
this way it would be easier for me to learn the complicated aspects of
C++ (heritance, classes, etc) that does not exist in fortran; I believe
that looking to the code, once I have understood the physics of the
program, would let me easily to understand the programming technique.

Thanks !

What mlimber said, plus:

Get "Thinking in C++", 2nd ed. Volume 1 (&2) by Bruce Eckel
(available for free here. You can buy it in hardcopy too.):
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

This book is good for people who know some programming and want to start C++.
[ get other books too! ]

BTW, saw your other post. Please do not 'Top-post'. Put your reply *below*
what your are refering to.
--
Bob R
POVrookie