Examples of high-quality python code?

kaens

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to python - I actually picked it up
to see how quickly I could start building non-trivial apps with it.

Needless to say, I was quite pleased.

Anyhow, I'm looking to expand my understanding of python, and I feel
that one of the best ways to do that is looking at other peoples code.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I grok the python mindset quite well
enough to fully distinguish between awesome, average, and not-pythony
code, so I was hoping some of the more experienced python people could
point me to some (preferably FOSS) non-trivial apps written in python
that are examples of great python code.

I realize this may be a bit ambiguous - basically I don't want to go
randomly downloading other people's source and end up assimilating
techniques that aren't . . . well . . . pythonistic.

So, who wants to hook me up?

Larry Bates

kaens said:
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to python - I actually picked it up
to see how quickly I could start building non-trivial apps with it.

Needless to say, I was quite pleased.

Anyhow, I'm looking to expand my understanding of python, and I feel
that one of the best ways to do that is looking at other peoples code.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like I grok the python mindset quite well
enough to fully distinguish between awesome, average, and not-pythony
code, so I was hoping some of the more experienced python people could
point me to some (preferably FOSS) non-trivial apps written in python
that are examples of great python code.

I realize this may be a bit ambiguous - basically I don't want to go
randomly downloading other people's source and end up assimilating
techniques that aren't . . . well . . . pythonistic.

So, who wants to hook me up?

You should consider picking up a copy of Python Cookbook. Alex and
others have reviewed the code it contains and IMHO it is well written.

I've also learned quite a lot from:

Python on Win32 (book by Mark Hammond/Andy Robinson)
Reading source code to standard library
Reading ReportLab source (www.reportlab.org)
Reading PIL source (www.effbot.org)
Reading wxPython source (www.wxpython.org)
Monitoring this list on a daily basis

-Larry

kyosohma

You should consider picking up a copy of Python Cookbook. Alex and
others have reviewed the code it contains and IMHO it is well written.

I've also learned quite a lot from:

Python on Win32 (book by Mark Hammond/Andy Robinson)
Reading source code to standard library
Reading ReportLab source (www.reportlab.org)
Reading PIL source (www.effbot.org)
Reading wxPython source (www.wxpython.org)
Monitoring this list on a daily basis

-Larry

Also "Python Programming" by Lutz has some great code to learn from as
it also explains most of it.

Mike

kaens

Also "Python Programming" by Lutz has some great code to learn from as
it also explains most of it.

Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone - I don't have the spare cash to buy a
book right now, but I've started studying the standard library, and I
do monitor this list on a regular basis.