excel export

naren

Hi,
I am trying to export some data into excel through cgi script,
I am using a standard example given in Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
module,
here is the code:

#!/apps/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel;

# Set the filename and send the content type
my $filename ="cgitest.xls";

print "Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel\n";
# The Content-Disposition will generate a prompt to save the file. If
you want
# to stream the file to the browser, comment out the following line.
print "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$filename\n";
print "\n";

# Create a new workbook and add a worksheet. The special Perl
filehandle - will
# redirect the output to STDOUT
#
my $workbook = Spreadsheet::WriteExcel->new("-");
my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet();

# Set the column width for column 1
$worksheet->set_column(0, 0, 20);

# Create a format
my $format = $workbook->add_format();
$format->set_bold();
$format->set_size(15);
$format->set_color('blue');

# Write to the workbook
$worksheet->write(0, 0, "Hi Excel!", $format);

But the script is failing at $workbook->add_worksheet(),
here is the error message:
---
Can't locate object method "add_worksheet" via package
"Spreadsheet::WriteExcel" (perhaps you forgot to load
"Spreadsheet::WriteExcel"?) at /cgi-excel.pl line 19.
---

I have checked the path, it should be getting the
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module, this error may be missleading??
This code was working FINE till last week, but it has broken now;
recently we have updated some of our other perl modules like IO, MIME
etc,
if Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module is using some of those libraries
internally, is there a chance that it will be affected?? I assume it
is not.

Can any body any idea??

thanks,
Naren.

Simon Taylor

Hello Naren,
I am trying to export some data into excel through cgi script,
I am using a standard example given in Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
module,
here is the code:

#!/apps/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel;
[snip]

my $workbook = Spreadsheet::WriteExcel->new("-");
my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet();

This should be:

my $worksheet = $workbook->addworksheet();

my $format = $workbook->add_format();

and that should be:

my $format = $workbook->addformat();

Happy hacking.

Simon Taylor

John McNamara

naren said:
But the script is failing at $workbook->add_worksheet(),
here is the error message:

Hi,

The method names add_worksheet() and add_format() were added in
version 0.41 of the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel. From the changelog:

0.41 April 24 2003 - Minor

! Renamed addworksheet() and addformat() to add_worksheet()
and add_format() for consistency with other method names.
Older names are supported but deprecated.

If you have an older version use addworksheet() and addformat()
instead.

John.