Excel file read/write?

Podi

As far as I know, there is pyXLWriter for writing and xlrd for reading.
Is there such thing so that one can open an Excel file into memory and
read/update any sheet/cell on the fly. One analogy to this is the
ConfigParser module.

Any info would be much appreciated.

John Machin

Podi said:
As far as I know, there is pyXLWriter for writing and xlrd for reading.

Most folk would seem to be using pyExcelerator rather than pyXLWriter.
It is much more up to date, it just hasn't been worked on for a year,
whereas pyXLWriter is obsolete (doesn't write latest Excel file format)
and is deliberately/officially in Norwegian Blue Parrot emulation mode.
Is there such thing so that one can open an Excel file into memory and
read/update any sheet/cell on the fly. One analogy to this is the
ConfigParser module.

There is no pure Python platform-independent facility that requires no
other software to be installed. Your choices are:

1. Python COM interface (part of
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/) with lots of users (and hence
readily available help in this newsgroup), examples, etc -- but
requires (a) Windows OS (b) Microsoft Excel

2. OpenOffice.org has a built-in Python -- 2.n where n is a small
number :-( and almost impenetrable documentation -- Sybren Stuvel has
published some examples: http://www.stuvel.eu/ooo-python
but my guess is that all the users of the OOo interface could fit in a
taxi.

3. Gnumeric is rumoured to have a similar scripting facility.

Podi

Thanks for the reply.
Most folk would seem to be using pyExcelerator rather than pyXLWriter.
It is much more up to date, it just hasn't been worked on for a year,

I will give it a shot.
1. Python COM interface (part of
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/) with lots of users (and hence
readily available help in this newsgroup), examples, etc -- but
requires (a) Windows OS (b) Microsoft Excel

I am not into COM as it is kind of anti-intuitive, at least to me.
2. OpenOffice.org has a built-in Python -- 2.n where n is a small
number :-( and almost impenetrable documentation -- Sybren Stuvel has
published some examples: http://www.stuvel.eu/ooo-python
but my guess is that all the users of the OOo interface could fit in a
taxi.

Hmmm..., I have 2.4.2 and would not like to down grade myself.
3. Gnumeric is rumoured to have a similar scripting facility.

Well, I would like to stick with the MS crowd, at least for the moment.

Cheers!

John Machin

Podi said:
Hmmm..., I have 2.4.2 and would not like to down grade myself.

It is a separate installation of Python, somewhere in the OOo directory
hierarchy. You would have to "down grade" yourself only when working
with OOo. In any case the documentation and the size of the user base
are showstoppers IMHO.

Cheers,
John