    • How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
    normally cached?

    chlori
    chlori, Nov 24, 2004

  2. chlori

    WindAndWaves Guest

    "chlori" <chlori@.invalid> wrote in message
    news:co1sd5$9bm$-plus.net...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm linking to an Excel-Sheet (Intranet) which get's
    > updated about once or twice a week.
    >
    > Problem:
    > Some Members say they see the old cached version of the
    > sheet.
    >
    > I thought of having the version number in the filename
    > (like 'sheet_v12.xls'), but then I always have to
    > change the links and the users can't use bookmarks
    > (main problem).
    >
    > • Any ideas how to solve this?
    > • How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
    > normally cached?
    >
    > chlori

    Can you embed the excel sheet in another page (e.g. using frames) and then
    auto refresh the excel sheet?
    WindAndWaves, Nov 24, 2004

  3. in alt.html, WindAndWaves wrote:

    > Can you embed the excel sheet in another page (e.g. using frames) and then
    > auto refresh the excel sheet?

    Bad Idea.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 24, 2004
  4. in alt.html, chlori wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm linking to an Excel-Sheet (Intranet) which get's
    > updated about once or twice a week.

    Do you know beforehad when it will be updated next time?

    > Problem:
    > Some Members say they see the old cached version of the sheet.

    In which cache it will be? In Browsers or in proxy?

    See, http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/ especially expires header:
    http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#EXPIRES

    > • How are Excel-sheets (and other similar files)
    > normally cached?

    Just like anything else, I would assume.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 24, 2004