Excel vs. Office Web Components

DC Gringo

Allison (or others), thank you for the advice...a few more questions:

- I have tested on my workstation on Excel XP and my application references
the Excel 10.0 Object Library. I was told the server has the "Office 2003"
components which I'm assuming is OWC11. How do my imports, declarations or
other code change to account for the components versus having Excel
installed?

Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal

Private Function DumpData(ByVal _
dt As DataTable, ByVal oCells As Excel.Range) As String
Dim dr As DataRow, ary() As Object
Dim iRow As Integer, iCol As Integer

'Output Column Headers
For iCol = 0 To dt.Columns.Count - 1
oCells(2, iCol + 1) = dt.Columns(iCol).ToString
Next

'Output Data
For iRow = 0 To dt.Rows.Count - 1
dr = dt.Rows.Item(iRow)
ary = dr.ItemArray
For iCol = 0 To UBound(ary)
oCells(iRow + 3, iCol + 1) = ary(iCol).ToString
Response.Write(ary(iCol).ToString & vbTab)
Next
Next
End Function

Public Sub btnCommunitiesExcel_OnClick(ByVal sender As System.Object,
ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
Dim oExcel As New Excel.Application
Dim oBooks As Excel.Workbooks, oBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim oSheets As Excel.Sheets, oSheet As Excel.Worksheet
Dim oCells As Excel.Range
Dim sFile As String, sTemplate As String
Dim ds As New DataSet
Dim da As New SqlDataAdapter(Session("savedCommunitiesSql"),
connection1.conString)
da.Fill(ds, "CommunitiesExcel")
Dim dt As DataTable = ds.Tables("CommunitiesExcel")

sFile = Server.MapPath(Request.ApplicationPath) & _
"\advanced\ExcelExports\Communities.xls"

sTemplate = Server.MapPath(Request.ApplicationPath) & _
"\advanced\ExcelExports\CommunitiesTemplate.xls"

oExcel.Visible = False : oExcel.DisplayAlerts = False

'Start a new workbook
oBooks = oExcel.Workbooks
oBooks.Open(Server.MapPath(Request.ApplicationPath) & _
"\advanced\ExcelExports\CommunitiesTemplate.xls") 'Load colorful
template with chart
oBook = oBooks.Item(1)
oSheets = oBook.Worksheets
oSheet = CType(oSheets.Item(1), Excel.Worksheet)
oSheet.Name = "First Sheet"
oCells = oSheet.Cells

DumpData(dt, oCells) 'Fill in the data

oSheet.SaveAs(sFile) 'Save in a temporary file
oBook.Close()

'Quit Excel and thoroughly deallocate everything
oExcel.Quit()
ReleaseComObject(oCells) : ReleaseComObject(oSheet)
ReleaseComObject(oSheets) : ReleaseComObject(oBook)
ReleaseComObject(oBooks) : ReleaseComObject(oExcel)
oExcel = Nothing : oBooks = Nothing : oBook = Nothing
oSheets = Nothing : oSheet = Nothing : oCells = Nothing
System.GC.Collect()
Response.Redirect(sFile) 'Send the user to the file

'impersonationContext.Undo()

End Sub

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

The code you supplied below should work with both Office XP and Office 2003.
I should know since I wrote it and I've tested it with both versions of
Office.
;-)

DC Gringo

Steve,

Yes, it works perfectly with Office XP. But I need it to work with Office
Web Components that are installed on the server. What do I need to do to
this to make it work?

_____
DC G