    What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?

    -- Wade Leftwich
    Ithaca, NY

    Wade Leftwich, Nov 17, 2007

  2. On Nov 17, 10:37 am, Wade Leftwich <> wrote:
    > I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    > "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    > the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    > something called "Python 3000".
    >
    > The cover features blurbs from William Gibson, Vernor Vinge, John
    > Carnack, and Bruce Scheier.
    >
    > What, they couldn't pop for an advance copy for Guido?
    >
    > -- Wade Leftwich
    > Ithaca, NY

    Damn keyboard. The last two endorsers are John Carmack and Bruce
    Schneier.

    Wade Leftwich, Nov 17, 2007

  3. Wade Leftwich

    Paul McGuire Guest

    On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <> wrote:
    > I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    > "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    > the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    > something called "Python 3000".

    I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

    -- Paul

    Paul McGuire, Nov 17, 2007
  4. Paul McGuire wrote:
    > On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <> wrote:
    >> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    >> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    >> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    >> something called "Python 3000".

    > I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    > Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    > Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

    I think it was just a conservative guess that Python 3000 would be out by then.

    Stefan

    Stefan Behnel, Nov 17, 2007
  5. Wade Leftwich

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Paul McGuire pisze:

    >> I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    >> "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    >> the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    >> something called "Python 3000".

    > I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    > Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    > Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

    Or, the author questions availability of P3k in 2008. It's not that hard
    to believe, since Python 3000 was a mythical monster (not even like Perl
    6) until recently. If the book was written around 2005 or even 2004...

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://zgodowie.org/

    Jarek Zgoda, Nov 17, 2007
  6. On Nov 17, 2007 4:25 PM, Paul McGuire <> wrote:
    > On Nov 17, 9:37 am, Wade Leftwich <> wrote:
    > > I'm about halfway through Charles Stross' excellent new novel,
    > > "Halting State". It's set in Edinburgh in the year 2018, and one of
    > > the main characters is a game programmer whose primary language is
    > > something called "Python 3000".

    > I should hope that by 2018, Python 4000 would be more cutting-edge.
    > Or is the protagonist struggling with backward-compatibility with a
    > Python version that would be nearly 10 years old already?

    If the whole 3.n series is called "Python 3000", then it's very
    plausible. I can see Python 3.7 or 3.8 being the latest version in
    2018.

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B.

    GTalk: simon.brunning | MSN: small_values | Yahoo: smallvalues

    Simon Brunning, Nov 17, 2007