Excel's XML to HTML using data islands

toby989

Hi All

Anyone came across this problem before?

I have an X<L file created by excel

<xml id="model">

<root>
<Row>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">EQUATION</Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">COEFFICIENT</Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Gllamm</Data></Cell>
</Row>
<Row>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>
</Row>
<Row>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ppi</Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Constant</Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">0.160***</Data></Cell>
</Row>
<Row>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String"></Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">(0.0054)</Data></Cell>
</Row>
</root>

And I know ingeneral how to use data islands to display the contents of the XML
in a html table and it works fine.

The problem with an excel created XML file is that values are all labeled "Cell"
whereas in most other regular XML, the individual values have their own label:
Cell1 and Cell2.
So my code works if each 'Row' has only one 'Cell'. But I want to use the html
code shown above repeatedly reading out each cell from a row, just as it does
read out and displays each row from the 'root' automatically.

Problem is, I cant change the XML, it machine generated and not under my control.

Thanks for any response.

Toby

Andy Dingley

Anyone came across this problem before?

Yes, when you posted it to c.i.w.a.h

You were told how to do it right then, and you're still insisting you
know better. Good luck.

toby989

Andy said:
Yes, when you posted it to c.i.w.a.h

You were told how to do it right then, and you're still insisting you
know better. Good luck.

You guys are pretty assumptious. How do you know that I can do what you
suggested? You are changing the 'givens'. Its like you have a math problem and
you suggest to change the task in order to solve it. Very smart of you guys.

The XML file is a given. It is machine generated and not under my control. Maybe
you did not work on large scale projects where the data to be displayed (XML) is
generated automatically and you have to find a way around how to display it.

Good luck with your assumptiousness.

Joe Kesselman

You guys are pretty assumptious.

One person has responded and you're already throwing names at everyone?
Not a good way to make folks want to help you.

I haven't attempted to use data islands, so I can't advise on whether
they can do what you want or not... but if they can't, they're too
broken to be interesting and you should consider a different technology,
eg more explicit scripting or server-side transformation.

toby989

Joe said:
One person has responded and you're already throwing names at everyone?
Not a good way to make folks want to help you.

I haven't attempted to use data islands, so I can't advise on whether
they can do what you want or not... but if they can't, they're too
broken to be interesting and you should consider a different technology,
eg more explicit scripting or server-side transformation.
Hi Joe, maybe you didnt follow the conversation cross listed in another newsgroup.