Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sampl

xcrazy

Hi, I know this is a common error, but this occurs only in some of my
programs.
I run java on windows XP SP2, jdk1.5
My sampl.java file is like this:

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

class swing_app {
JDesktopPane desktop = new JDesktopPane();
desktop.add(desktop,BorderLayout.CENTER);
JInternalFrame internalFrame = new JInternalFrame("Internal
Frame",true,true,true,true);
internalFrame.setBounds(50,50,200,100);
desktop.add(internalFrame,new Integer(1));

It compiles giving me a "sampl.class" file but when i type this
java sampl
I get this error: - Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sampl

I don't get this error in a simple "Hello world" program.....
This is how i've set my paths:

Path=c:\j2sdkee1.3.1\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot
%\system32\WBEM;%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\WBEMC:
\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;.;C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin;c:\Java
\jdk1.5.0_09\lib;

CLASSPATH= .;C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\lib;C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin;C:
\j2sdkee1.3.1\bin;

Please help!!

micro

Hi, I know this is a common error, but this occurs only in some of my
programs.
I run java on windows XP SP2, jdk1.5
My sampl.java file is like this:

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

class swing_app {
JDesktopPane desktop = new JDesktopPane();
desktop.add(desktop,BorderLayout.CENTER);
JInternalFrame internalFrame = new JInternalFrame("Internal
Frame",true,true,true,true);
internalFrame.setBounds(50,50,200,100);
desktop.add(internalFrame,new Integer(1));

It compiles giving me a "sampl.class" file but when i type this>java sampl

I get this error: - Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sampl

first :note that your class named "swing_app" not "sampl" it wil
compile giving you a "swing_app.class"
second :you should not add acontainer to it self
desktop.add(desktop,BorderLayout.CENTER);
third you are using an internal frame so you should note that you will
not be able to see any thing unless you put that in a desktoppane then
in a frame
so try the following it will work:
import javax.swing.*;

class SwingApp {
JFrame f= new JFrame();
f.setSize(300, 300);
JDesktopPane desktop = new JDesktopPane();
f.setContentPane(desktop);
JInternalFrame internalFrame = new
JInternalFrame("internal frame");
internalFrame.setBounds(50,50,200,100);
internalFrame.setVisible(true);
desktop.add(internalFrame,null);
f.setVisible(true);

micro

[...]

Lew

Class names should start with an upper-case letter, not contain underscores
and start each word part with an upper-case letter, thus "SwingApp", by
convention.