exception on Response Envelope, Error in XML-document

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by msdnuniv, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    Hello!

    i am desparetely trying to consume a PHP Webservice in VB.NET 2005.
    I can add the webreference, compile without errors and see the methods of
    the webservice.
    But on runtime it tells me {"There is an error in XML document (6, 62)."}.
    Inner Exception:
    {"Cannot assign object of type System.Xml.XmlNode[] to an object of type
    System.String."}

    Envelope that comes from the webservice:

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
    xmlns:ns1='urn:xmethods-mhd_ArticleDetails'
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    xmlns:ns2='http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap'
    xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
    SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'>
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    <ns1:getArticleDetailsResponse>
    <details xsi:type='ns2:Map'>
    <item>
    <key xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    title
    </key>
    <value xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    SGB 3 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch
    </value>
    </item>
    <item>
    <key xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    headline
    </key>
    <value xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    Viertes Kapitel: Leistungen an Arbeitnehmer Achter
    Abschnitt: Entgeltersatzleistungen Zweiter Unterabschnitt: Arbeitslosengeld
    Erster Titel: Regelvoraussetzungen
    </value>
    </item>
    </details>
    </ns1:getArticleDetailsResponse>
    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

    Relevant part of WSDL (no complex types because i did not get them to import
    at all in .NET):
    __________________________
    <message name="getArticleDetailsRequest">
    <part name="artId" type="xsd:int"/>
    </message>

    <message name="getArticleDetailsResponse">
    <part name="details" type="xsd:ArrayOfString"/>
    </message>
    ____________

    Strange: I defined ArrayOfString, but .NET expects just string.

    How can I get that to run?
    Thank you!

    Best Regards,
    Dirk
    msdnuniv, Aug 22, 2007

  2. "msdnuniv" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > i am desparetely trying to consume a PHP Webservice in VB.NET 2005.
    > I can add the webreference, compile without errors and see the methods of
    > the webservice.
    > But on runtime it tells me {"There is an error in XML document (6, 62)."}.
    > Inner Exception:
    > {"Cannot assign object of type System.Xml.XmlNode[] to an object of type
    > System.String."}
    >
    > Envelope that comes from the webservice:

    > <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    > xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
    > xmlns:ns1='urn:xmethods-mhd_ArticleDetails'
    > xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    > xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    > xmlns:ns2='http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap'
    > xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
    > SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'>
    > <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    > <ns1:getArticleDetailsResponse>
    > <details xsi:type='ns2:Map'>
    > <item>
    > <key xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    > title
    > </key>
    > <value xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    > SGB 3 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch
    > </value>
    > </item>
    > <item>
    > <key xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    > headline
    > </key>
    > <value xsi:type='xsd:string'>
    > Viertes Kapitel: Leistungen an Arbeitnehmer Achter
    > Abschnitt: Entgeltersatzleistungen Zweiter Unterabschnitt:
    > Arbeitslosengeld Erster Titel: Regelvoraussetzungen
    > </value>
    > </item>
    > </details>
    > </ns1:getArticleDetailsResponse>
    > </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    > </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
    >

    > Relevant part of WSDL (no complex types because i did not get them to
    > import at all in .NET):
    > __________________________
    > <message name="getArticleDetailsRequest">
    > <part name="artId" type="xsd:int"/>
    > </message>
    >
    > <message name="getArticleDetailsResponse">
    > <part name="details" type="xsd:ArrayOfString"/>
    > </message>
    > ____________
    >
    > Strange: I defined ArrayOfString, but .NET expects just string.

    Please post the WSDL, so we can see _how_ you defined ArrayOfString.

    Also, why did you define it in the "xsd" namespace? That's not your
    namespace, so you don't get to change it.

    Also, it doesn't look like the service is sending ArrayOfString, unless
    ArrayOfString is the same thing as ns2:Map.
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 22, 2007

  3. thanks for John's input.

    Hi Dirk,

    I agree with John that the problem is likely caused by the type mismatching
    between the generated webservice client proxy and the corresponding object
    member in the SOAP response message. As the following line indicates:

    =========
    {"Cannot assign object of type System.Xml.XmlNode[] to an object of type
    System.String."}
    =========

    the webservice proxy class contains a string member while the SOAP response
    message return an node list(array), at least the .net webservice
    deserializer deserialize it into a nodelist which cause the type
    mismatching problem.

    Please feel free to post some further info(like WSDL document) so that we
    can have a look and perform some test on it.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 23, 2007
  4. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    > Hello!
    >>
    >> i am desparetely trying to consume a PHP Webservice in VB.NET 2005.

    >> Relevant part of WSDL (no complex types because i did not get them to
    >> import at all in .NET):
    >> __________________________
    >> <message name="getArticleDetailsRequest">
    >> <part name="artId" type="xsd:int"/>
    >> </message>
    >>
    >> <message name="getArticleDetailsResponse">
    >> <part name="details" type="xsd:ArrayOfString"/>
    >> </message>
    >> ____________
    >>
    >> Strange: I defined ArrayOfString, but .NET expects just string.

    > Please post the WSDL, so we can see _how_ you defined ArrayOfString.
    >
    > Also, why did you define it in the "xsd" namespace? That's not your
    > namespace, so you don't get to change it.
    >
    > Also, it doesn't look like the service is sending ArrayOfString, unless
    > ArrayOfString is the same thing as ns2:Map.
    > --
    > John Saunders [MVP]

    John and Steven,

    thank you very much!
    In Meantime i played so that the problem is slightly different.
    PHP - Server works,
    Can build proxy and can intellisense everything
    But in VB.NET
    Dim test As New de.myhandicapexpert.MyHandicapExperts

    Dim res As New de.myhandicapexpert.ArticleDetailsResponse

    res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)

    Return res.header

    I get a nullreferenceException in the last line. So i think .NET does not
    like something in the response envelope.

    Here are the envelopes made with
    http://www.mgateway.com/php/wsdlValidator/home.php:

    i send this:
    xmlns:tm='http://microsoft.com/wsdl/mime/textMatching/'
    xmlns:tns='http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:wsdl='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/'
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'>
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    <ns1:GetArticleDetails xmlns:ns1='http://www.test.de/'>
    <ns1:LicenseKey xsi:type='s:string'>
    fd
    </ns1:LicenseKey>
    <ns1:articleId xsi:type='s:int'>
    3
    </ns1:articleId>
    </ns1:GetArticleDetails>
    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

    and get this back:
    xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    xmlns:ns1='urn:http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xmlns:ns2='http://www.test.de/'>
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    <ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse xsi:type='ns1:ArticleDetailsResponse'>
    <xsd:string>
    Drittes Buch
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    test2
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    1111111
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    22222222222
    </xsd:string>
    </ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse>
    </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

    This is the WSDL

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <wsdl:definitions
    xmlns:http='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/'
    xmlns:soap='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/'
    xmlns:s='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    xmlns:soapenc='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
    xmlns:tns='http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:tm='http://microsoft.com/wsdl/mime/textMatching/'
    xmlns:mime='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/mime/'
    targetNamespace='http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:wsdl='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/'>

    <wsdl:types>
    <s:schema elementFormDefault='qualified'
    targetNamespace='http://www.test.de/'>

    <s:element name='GetArticleDetails'>
    <s:complexType>
    <s:sequence>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='LicenseKey'
    type='s:string'/>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='articleId'
    type='s:int'/>
    </s:sequence>
    </s:complexType>
    </s:element>

    <s:element name='GetArticleDetailsResponse'>
    <s:complexType>
    <s:sequence>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1'
    name='GetArticleDetailsResult' type='tns:ArticleDetailsResponse'/>
    </s:sequence>
    </s:complexType>
    </s:element>

    <s:complexType name='ArticleDetailsResponse'>
    <s:sequence>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='title'
    type='s:string'/>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='header'
    type='s:string'/>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='test1'
    type='s:string'/>
    <s:element minOccurs='1' maxOccurs='1' name='test2'
    type='s:string'/>
    </s:sequence>
    </s:complexType>

    </s:schema>
    </wsdl:types>

    <wsdl:message name='GetArticleDetailsSoapIn'>
    <wsdl:part name='parameters' element='tns:GetArticleDetails'/>
    </wsdl:message>

    <wsdl:message name='GetArticleDetailsSoapOut'>
    <wsdl:part name='parameters' element='tns:GetArticleDetailsResponse'/>
    </wsdl:message>

    <wsdl:portType name='MyHandicapExpertsSoap'>

    <wsdl:eek:peration name='GetArticleDetails'>
    <documentation xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/'>
    Gives the currency exchange rate between the two currencies.
    </documentation>

    <wsdl:input message='tns:GetArticleDetailsSoapIn'/>
    <wsdl:eek:utput message='tns:GetArticleDetailsSoapOut'/>
    </wsdl:eek:peration>
    </wsdl:portType>

    <wsdl:binding name='MyHandicapExpertsSoap'
    type='tns:MyHandicapExpertsSoap'>
    <soap:binding transport='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http'
    style='document'/>

    <wsdl:eek:peration name='GetArticleDetails'>
    <soap:eek:peration soapAction='http://www.test.de/GetArticleDetails'
    style='document'/>

    <wsdl:input>
    <soap:body use='literal'/>
    </wsdl:input>

    <wsdl:eek:utput>
    <soap:body use='literal'/>
    </wsdl:eek:utput>
    </wsdl:eek:peration>

    </wsdl:binding>
    <wsdl:service name='MyHandicapExperts'>
    <documentation xmlns='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/'>
    My Handicap Experts Database
    </documentation>

    <wsdl:port name='MyHandicapExpertsSoap'
    binding='tns:MyHandicapExpertsSoap'>
    <soap:address
    location='http://test.de/expertdbws/main/mhdwissen_main.php'/>
    </wsdl:port>

    </wsdl:service>
    </wsdl:definitions>

    Thank you again!
    Dirk
    msdnuniv, Aug 23, 2007
  5. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    Hello All,

    i can narrow it down a bit (replaced my URL and NS with "test"):
    This is the VB.NET code, which builds and intellisense is showing all types
    correctly:

    Public Function getArtDet() As String
    Dim test As New de.test.MyHandicapExperts
    Dim res As New de.test.ArticleDetailsResponse
    Dim header As String

    res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)
    header = res.header

    Return header
    End Function
    I get a nullreferenceException on
    header = res.header

    i proved with wireshark and i am sure there is a correctly looking envelope
    coming back (see below).
    What is wrong with it and what can i do to consume this webservice?
    Thank you!
    Dirk

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
    xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    xmlns:ns1='urn:http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xmlns:ns2='http://www.test.de/'>
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    <ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse xsi:type='ns1:ArticleDetailsResponse'>
    <xsd:string>
    Drittes Buch
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    Viertes Kapitel
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    adsf
    </xsd:string>
    <xsd:string>
    adfsdaf
    </xsd:string>
    msdnuniv, Aug 24, 2007
  6. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    "msdnuniv" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello All,
    >
    > i can narrow it down a bit (replaced my URL and NS with "test"):
    > This is the VB.NET code, which builds and intellisense is showing all
    > types correctly:
    >
    > Public Function getArtDet() As String
    > Dim test As New de.test.MyHandicapExperts
    > Dim res As New de.test.ArticleDetailsResponse
    > Dim header As String
    >
    > res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)
    > header = res.header
    >
    > Return header
    > End Function
    > I get a nullreferenceException on
    > header = res.header
    >
    > i proved with wireshark and i am sure there is a correctly looking
    > envelope coming back (see below).
    > What is wrong with it and what can i do to consume this webservice?
    > Thank you!
    > Dirk
    >
    > <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    > <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    > xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
    > xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
    > xmlns:ns1='urn:http://www.test.de/'
    > xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    > xmlns:ns2='http://www.test.de/'>
    > <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    > <ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse xsi:type='ns1:ArticleDetailsResponse'>
    > <xsd:string>
    > Drittes Buch
    > </xsd:string>
    > <xsd:string>
    > Viertes Kapitel
    > </xsd:string>
    > <xsd:string>
    > adsf
    > </xsd:string>
    > <xsd:string>
    > adfsdaf
    > </xsd:string>
    > </ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse>
    > </SOAP-ENV:Body>
    > </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

    Hello again,

    now i have an alternative response - envelope, but with exactly the same
    result:
    (It has tags for the element names instead of </xsd:string>)
    What can i try to debug it in VB.NET? Where can i see what the proxy-class
    does? BTW: I do not find the proxy class in my project. I can create my own
    with wsdl.exe but i do not find the one created on adding the webservice...
    Please can anybody help? I'm working on this since 60 hours now and could
    not get one step further.
    Dirk

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
    xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
    xmlns:ns1='urn:http://www.test.de/'
    xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
    xmlns:ns2='http://www.test.de/'>
    <SOAP-ENV:Body>
    <ns2:GetArticleDetailsResponse xsi:type='ns1:ArticleDetailsResponse'>
    <title>
    Drittes Buch
    </title>
    <header>
    Viertes Kapitel
    </header>
    <test1>
    adsf
    </test1>
    <test2>
    adfsdaf
    </test2>
    msdnuniv, Aug 24, 2007
  7. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    > Public Function getArtDet() As String
    > Dim test As New de.test.MyHandicapExperts
    > Dim res As New de.test.ArticleDetailsResponse
    > Dim header As String
    >
    > res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)
    > header = res.header
    >
    > Return header
    > End Function
    > I get a nullreferenceException on
    > header = res.header

    one more silly thing:
    Please can somebody explain, why i get no Exception
    in first line
    and after invoking GetArticleDetails i get an exception in third line?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'This is OK:
    myHash = resType.GetHashCode

    'This is OK:
    res = test.GetArticleDetails("adsf", 3)

    'NullReferenceException here:

    msdnuniv, Aug 24, 2007
  8. "msdnuniv" <> wrote in message
    >> Public Function getArtDet() As String
    >> Dim test As New de.test.MyHandicapExperts
    >> Dim res As New de.test.ArticleDetailsResponse
    >> Dim header As String
    >>
    >> res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)
    >> header = res.header
    >>
    >> Return header
    >> End Function
    >> I get a nullreferenceException on
    >> header = res.header

    > one more silly thing:
    > Please can somebody explain, why i get no Exception
    > in first line
    > and after invoking GetArticleDetails i get an exception in third line?
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > 'This is OK:
    > myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    >
    > 'This is OK:
    > res = test.GetArticleDetails("adsf", 3)
    >
    > 'NullReferenceException here:
    > myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    If you comment out that second "GetHashCode" line, what happens?
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 24, 2007
  9. msdnuniv

    msdnuniv Guest

    "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "msdnuniv" <> wrote in message
    >>> Public Function getArtDet() As String
    >>> Dim test As New de.test.MyHandicapExperts
    >>> Dim res As New de.test.ArticleDetailsResponse
    >>> Dim header As String
    >>>
    >>> res = test.GetArticleDetails("asdf", 3)
    >>> header = res.header
    >>>
    >>> Return header
    >>> End Function
    >>> I get a nullreferenceException on
    >>> header = res.header

    >> one more silly thing:
    >> Please can somebody explain, why i get no Exception
    >> in first line
    >> and after invoking GetArticleDetails i get an exception in third line?
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >> 'This is OK:
    >> myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    >>
    >> 'This is OK:
    >> res = test.GetArticleDetails("adsf", 3)
    >>
    >> 'NullReferenceException here:
    >> myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    > If you comment out that second "GetHashCode" line, what happens?
    > --
    > John Saunders [MVP]

    John,

    then there is no exception :)
    I do not need GetHashCode. I try to say that I can't do anything with
    resType anymore after i called the function GetArticleDetails(). This works
    too. But if i try to get one of its members afterwards (and even if it is
    the trivial GetHashCode), I get that exception at runtime.

    Greetings,
    Dirk
    msdnuniv, Aug 25, 2007
  10. "msdnuniv" <> wrote in message

    > "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com> schrieb im
    > Newsbeitrag news:%...
    >> "msdnuniv" <> wrote in message

    >>> one more silly thing:
    >>> Please can somebody explain, why i get no Exception
    >>> in first line
    >>> and after invoking GetArticleDetails i get an exception in third line?
    >>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >>> 'This is OK:
    >>> myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    >>>
    >>> 'This is OK:
    >>> res = test.GetArticleDetails("adsf", 3)
    >>>
    >>> 'NullReferenceException here:
    >>> myHash = resType.GetHashCode
    >>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    >> If you comment out that second "GetHashCode" line, what happens?
    >> --
    >> John Saunders [MVP]

    > John,
    >
    > then there is no exception :)

    Ok, you haven't shown us the relationship between res and resType. Please
    show us how they are declared.

    Also, try simplifying this a bit:

    res = Nothing 'test.GetArticleDetails("adsf", 3)

    See what happens (include the second GetHashCode!)
    --
    John Saunders [MVP]
    John Saunders [MVP], Aug 26, 2007
  11. Hi Dirk,

    Yes, as John said, would you show us the relationship between the resType
    and the proxy object(test), from the code snippet it really unexpected to
    get such a result.

    Also, for the proxy class code question you mentioned earlier, have you
    found it? For the proxy generated by "Add WebReference in VS IDE", you can
    view it as below:

    ** if the proxy class is generated in winform or console or class library
    project, you can select and click the certain webreference node in solution
    explorer(or expand the node) to find the autogenerated xxx.designer.cs(or
    vb) file. The code of the proxy is in it.

    ** For ASP.NET web project(not web application project), the proxy code is
    dynamically generated and compiled, so you can not find any pregenerated
    code in project folder at design-time. Also, the autogenerated code mainly
    contains some class and method definition and does not contain any info
    about the underlying XML processing.

    BTW, is there an external URL we can visit and test?

    --------------------
    >From: "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com>

    <>
    <>
    <#>
    <#>

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 27, 2007
  12. msdnuniv

    Kim Janssens Guest

    Same problem

    Hello,

    I am having the same problem as you. It would be really a big help if you could give me some insights if you were able to manage to find a solution for this problem?

    Great thanks

    Kim
    Kim Janssens, Nov 30, 2008