    Anybody have an idea solving this problem?

    Thanks

    Vincent

    VincentWong, Dec 19, 2003

  2. VincentWong wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > We're getting a security exception on a asychronous callback
    > (System.Net.Sockets.OverlappedAsyncResult::CompletionPortCallback).
    > This exception occurs when our control is embedded within an
    > IE web page. A connection is established after making a web service call, it
    > keeps opened for a period of time(observe that using netstat), it seems that
    > when the connection is closed(time out), the exception
    > (System.Net.Sockets.OverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback) is thrown.
    > Anybody have an idea solving this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vincent

    This must be a serious bug in the Framework. I have experienced
    exactley the same problem. I have a Windows Service that will
    periodically call a Web Service on another computer. The first time the
    WS is called it works correctly and I can see in NETSTAT that the
    connection is persisted to the remote host after the call has returned.
    This is expected as the WS will be called using HTTP 1.1 which will
    have a keepalive. If I observe NETSTAT continuously I can see when the
    WS server shuts down the connection after the specified KeepAlive timout
    set on the server. When this happens, I get the same error that Vincent
    has posted above in my client app. When the WS is called again, it will
    fail with operation timeout. This effectively means that this scenario
    is not reliable enough for it's purpose. Why the client can't
    re-establish the connection if it doesn't exist is beyond me. Does
    anyone know how to create a reliable windows service that calls a WS on
    an intermittent basis?

    best

    Marshall

    Marshall Brooke, Jan 15, 2004