Exception thrown while accessing Oracle through oracle client

Guest

Hi Everyone
I am trying to acces Oracle using oracle client classes
provided by .net in an asp .net application. But I keep on getting following
error
"System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 "

All the solutions mentioned to this problem on various newsgroups indicate a
setting in security permission. I have given all sorts of permission to the
oracle and ora92 folder including everyone-full control. But it is still not
working. But if I try to access it through an exe I don't get that error.
Can anyone please help me?

Thanks
Neo

Guest

I ran into this one and got through it, but do not remember the specifics of
how. If I remember correctly, it was installing the complete client suite
that solved the issue (the Oracle client tools require a partial, not
complete, install, to work so the fact Oracle tools are working does not mean
OracleClient will). I do not remember a security issue, but that does not
mean it is not the case with your connection issue.

In general, I suggest using ODP.NET (free download from otn.oracle.com) over
the Microsoft OracleClient classes. They are better tuned for Oracle needs.

NOTE: The OracleClient classes will not work againt 10g, as the Oracle
internals have changed.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Guest

Make sure that ASPNET, IUSR and IWAM for your machine all have access to the
Oracle folder. They don't need full access. Then do a reset on all child
item permissions.

Then, reboot your computer.
--
Direct Email: Michael.Baltic@RemoveCharactersUpTo#NCMC.Com