Exception when accessing dictionary object

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Alan Silver, May 17, 2005.

  1. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Hello,

    I have a server running Windows Server 2003, on which two of the web
    sites use the MegaBBS ASP forum software. Both sites suddenly developed
    the same error, which seems to be connected to the dictionary object.

    After some tinkering, I whittled it down to the following (complete)
    ASP...

    <%@ CodePage=65001 Language="VBScript"%>
    <% Option Explicit %>
    <head>
    <title>test</title>
    <%
    dim dictConfiguration
    set dictConfiguration = server.createobject("SCRIPTING.DICTIONARY")
    dictConfiguration("a") = "b"
    %>

    When run, this gives the error ...

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'

    An exception occurred

    /forum/test.asp, line 10

    where line 10 is the one that tries to set dictConfiguration("a") = "b"

    The previous line doesn't give an error, so I'm assuming that the object
    is created OK. I even added some code to list the contents of the
    dictionary, and that didn't give an error, so the object *is* there. I
    just don't seem to be able to use it!!

    Anyone any ideas on this? I searched Google, but didn't find anything
    relevant. I don't know of any changes to the machine recently, but with
    MS's automatic updates, you can't tell anymore.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 17, 2005

  2. Alan Silver

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : After some tinkering, I whittled it down to the following (complete)
    : ASP...
    :
    : <%@ CodePage=65001 Language="VBScript"%>
    : <% Option Explicit %>
    : <html>
    : <head>
    : <title>test</title>
    : <body>
    : <%
    : dim dictConfiguration
    : set dictConfiguration = server.createobject("SCRIPTING.DICTIONARY")
    : dictConfiguration("a") = "b"
    : %>
    : </body>
    : </html>

    How about...

    dictConfiguration.Add "a", "b"

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, May 17, 2005

  3. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >: I have a server running Windows Server 2003, on which two of the web
    >: sites use the MegaBBS ASP forum software. Both sites suddenly developed
    >: the same error, which seems to be connected to the dictionary object.

    <snip>
    >How about...
    >
    >dictConfiguration.Add "a", "b"

    The error changes to ... "An exception occurred: 'Add'" !!

    As I said, this software has been running fine for some time and has
    only just developed this error. Nothing has been changed in the
    software, the only change could be to do with the system itself.

    I have two other Windows Server 2003 machine where this works fine.
    Something has happened on this one machine.

    Thanks for the reply. Any other ideas?

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 17, 2005
  4. Alan Silver wrote:
    >>> I have a server running Windows Server 2003, on which two of the web
    >>> sites use the MegaBBS ASP forum software. Both sites suddenly
    >>> developed the same error, which seems to be connected to the
    >>> dictionary object.

    > <snip>
    >> How about...
    >>
    >> dictConfiguration.Add "a", "b"

    > The error changes to ... "An exception occurred: 'Add'" !!
    >
    > As I said, this software has been running fine for some time and has
    > only just developed this error. Nothing has been changed in the
    > software, the only change could be to do with the system itself.
    >
    > I have two other Windows Server 2003 machine where this works fine.
    > Something has happened on this one machine.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Any other ideas?

    Have you recently installed anti-virus software with a script-blocking
    feature?

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 17, 2005
  5. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Have you recently installed anti-virus software with a script-blocking
    >feature?

    Nope. We have NOD on the server, but that doesn't have script-blocking
    (don't worry, it's safe!!).

    Thanks for the reply. Any other suggestions welcome.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 17, 2005
  6. Alan Silver

    : >Have you recently installed anti-virus software with a script-blocking
    : >feature?
    :
    : Nope. We have NOD on the server, but that doesn't have script-blocking
    : (don't worry, it's safe!!).

    This appears to be an issue that has been around for awhile. Bob and Luke
    (MSFT) have responded to another in 2004 but the poster didn't follow up
    completely. I read an article where this error number is attached to
    several types of issues for Win2K and an update for IIS appears to have
    solved the issue. Are you up to date on IIS6 updates?

    This article is the discussion to try to find the cause but unfortunately
    nothing was resolved.
    http://www.codecomments.com/archive288-2004-10-297811.html

    Searching all of Microsoft.com is extremely frustrating. 800a01fb is not
    found anywhere. How helpful is that? An error message with no support.
    Perhaps Luke has a special database?!

    Roland Hall, May 17, 2005
  7. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >: >Have you recently installed anti-virus software with a script-blocking
    >: >feature?
    >:
    >: Nope. We have NOD on the server, but that doesn't have script-blocking
    >: (don't worry, it's safe!!).
    >
    >This appears to be an issue that has been around for awhile. Bob and Luke
    >(MSFT) have responded to another in 2004 but the poster didn't follow up
    >completely.

    I saw that article and got frustrated at the lack of result ;-(

    > I read an article where this error number is attached to
    >several types of issues for Win2K and an update for IIS appears to have
    >solved the issue. Are you up to date on IIS6 updates?

    As far as I know.

    >This article is the discussion to try to find the cause but unfortunately
    >nothing was resolved.
    >http://www.codecomments.com/archive288-2004-10-297811.html
    >
    >Searching all of Microsoft.com is extremely frustrating. 800a01fb is not
    >found anywhere. How helpful is that? An error message with no support.
    >Perhaps Luke has a special database?!

    Dunno, but I was as surprised as you at the lack of help of the MS site.

    As it happens, the server is going to be rebuilt tomorrow night, so I
    would hope the problem will be sorted. I just get annoyed at these sorts
    of problems that turn up apparently out of nowhere and don't seem to
    have a good explanation.

    If you find anything further, please let me know. I would still like to
    find out the cause.

    Ta ra

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 17, 2005
  8. "Alan Silver" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a server running Windows Server 2003, on which two of the web
    > sites use the MegaBBS ASP forum software. Both sites suddenly developed
    > the same error, which seems to be connected to the dictionary object.
    >
    > After some tinkering, I whittled it down to the following (complete)
    > ASP...
    >
    > <%@ CodePage=65001 Language="VBScript"%>
    > <% Option Explicit %>
    > <head>
    > <title>test</title>
    > <%
    > dim dictConfiguration
    > set dictConfiguration = server.createobject("SCRIPTING.DICTIONARY")
    > dictConfiguration("a") = "b"
    > %>
    >

    > When run, this gives the error ...
    >
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'
    >
    > An exception occurred
    >
    > /forum/test.asp, line 10
    >

    > where line 10 is the one that tries to set dictConfiguration("a") = "b"
    >
    > The previous line doesn't give an error, so I'm assuming that the object
    > is created OK. I even added some code to list the contents of the
    > dictionary, and that didn't give an error, so the object *is* there. I
    > just don't seem to be able to use it!!
    >
    > Anyone any ideas on this? I searched Google, but didn't find anything
    > relevant. I don't know of any changes to the machine recently, but with
    > MS's automatic updates, you can't tell anymore.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Silver

    Can you try using CreateObject instead of Server.CreateObject? Here's an
    article that discusses the differences:

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2336

    Also, have you check the event logs to more detailed information on the
    error?
    Chris Hohmann, May 17, 2005
  9. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Can you try using CreateObject instead of Server.CreateObject? Here's
    >an article that discusses the differences:
    >
    >http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2336

    OK, I tried that and it didn't make any difference. Thanks for the link,
    I didn't know about those differences.

    >Also, have you check the event logs to more detailed information on the
    >error?

    Yup, nothing there.

    Thanks for the reply.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 17, 2005
  10. "Alan Silver" <> wrote in message
    > >Can you try using CreateObject instead of Server.CreateObject? Here's an
    > >article that discusses the differences:
    >>
    >>http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2336

    > OK, I tried that and it didn't make any difference. Thanks for the link, I
    > didn't know about those differences.

    I was taking a random guess there. :) I thought perhaps there was some
    conflict between MTS and the dictionary object.

    >>Also, have you check the event logs to more detailed information on the
    >>error?

    > Yup, nothing there.

    Hmm... color me stumped. Just to be clear, the code you posted for test.asp
    is in its entirety correct? Also, that page consistently fails with the
    error you listed. I only bring it up because the other thread that was
    reference indicated an intermittent problem. If the server rebuild does not
    resolve the problem tomorrow, could you post some more details about your
    server environment. You indicated this was a Windows 2003 box. Have you
    installed SP1? Also could you tell us what versions of IIS/ASP/VBScript you
    are running.
    Chris Hohmann, May 18, 2005
  11. Alan Silver

    Roland Hall Guest

    : >:
    : >: Nope. We have NOD on the server, but that doesn't have script-blocking
    : >: (don't worry, it's safe!!).
    : >
[...]

    I'm betting it's probably a security update that requires something
    reapplied. We used to have to reapply SPs, even when MSFT said there was no
    need, like with W2K and I can't tell you how many times it solved the issue.
    The other thing they would do is overwrite OEM drivers so those drivers had
    to be reapplied after. And, Exchange was the worst because those updates
    had to come at the end. Get them out of order, poof! Instant headache.

    Roland Hall, May 18, 2005
  12. Alan Silver wrote:
    <snipped>
    > <%
    > dim dictConfiguration
    > set dictConfiguration = server.createobject("SCRIPTING.DICTIONARY")
    > dictConfiguration("a") = "b"
    > %>
    > When run, this gives the error ...
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01fb'
    > An exception occurred
    > /forum/test.asp, line 10
    > where line 10 is the one that tries to set dictConfiguration("a") = "b"

    <snipped>

    Hi Alan,

    Scripting.Dictionary object had (has?) some threading issues; Eric
    Lippert of Microsoft wrote it while learning about threading:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2003/09/19/53054.aspx
    On his blog Eric discusses problems that can occur when using the
    Dictionary object (and many other things).

    Possible workarounds if you get desperate:
    I. There is a component, called "Lookup Table Component", written by
    some other Microsoft programmers who wanted better performance than the
    Dictionary object provided. Perhaps you could use it. But it's somewhat
    limited: you can only load it at Application_OnStart() IIRC:
    > The Lookup Table Component is an Active Server Pages component that provides an efficient read-only lookup table of string (or integer) values and string (or integer) keys. It offers better performance than the default VBScript Dictionary Object, especially
    > in session and application scope.

    II. Use the Session or Application object as a replacement:
    ' To store info in a Session "dictionary":
    Session("$DicA" & "a") = "b"
    ' To store info in another "dictionary":
    Session("$DicB" & "a") = "b"

    ' There are now two "dictionaries": $DicA and $DicB.

    ' To retrieve info:
    strA = Session("$DicA" & "a")
    strB = Session("$DicB" & "a")

    ' To delete a key:
    Session.Contents.Remove("$DicA" & "a")

    Optionally wrapper the above in subroutines or create your own
    dictionary class, each instance which then stores values into the
    Session or Application object or in internal variables.

    The above is simpler and faster than the Dictionary Object and gives you
    most of it's functionality.

    But perhaps Mr. Lippert will see these posts and render assistance. Ugly
    as it is, the Scripting.Dictionary Object remains his tar-baby!-))
    Michael D. Kersey, May 18, 2005
  13. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Hmm... color me stumped. Just to be clear, the code you posted for test.asp
    >is in its entirety correct?

    Yup, copied and pasted.

    > Also, that page consistently fails with the
    >error you listed. I only bring it up because the other thread that was
    >reference indicated an intermittent problem.

    No, this is consistent and constant.

    > If the server rebuild does not
    >resolve the problem tomorrow, could you post some more details about your
    >server environment. You indicated this was a Windows 2003 box. Have you
    >installed SP1? Also could you tell us what versions of IIS/ASP/VBScript you
    >are running.

    It had (well, still has until tonight!!) all the latest hot fixes and
    SP1. It is using whatever version of IIS, ASP and VBScript come as
    standard. We haven't changed anything there.

    As I said earlier, the script had been working fine. I assume it must be
    some permissions or security "fix" that scuppered it, but it's hard to
    find out what.

    Anyway, I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks for the reply.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 18, 2005
  14. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Michael,

    Thanks for the reply. I should point out that the forum software in
    question wasn't written by us, it's a third party one that is used all
    over the place. I wouldn't want to start rewriting it, partly because of
    the work involved, and partly because any updates would have to be
    scrutinised to see if they need changing. The amount of work would be
    too much to justify. We would be better off finding another forum
    software!!

    Also, the software has been working fine for a while. It's only just
    stopped. That seems to indicate that there's some issue with the object,
    not the software. If so, this could affect other things on the sites on
    the machine, so we would be better off finding out why the object has
    stopped working.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Alan Silver, May 18, 2005
  15. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >I'm betting it's probably a security update that requires something
    >reapplied. We used to have to reapply SPs, even when MSFT said there
    >was no need, like with W2K and I can't tell you how many times it
    >solved the issue. The other thing they would do is overwrite OEM
    >drivers so those drivers had to be reapplied after. And, Exchange was
    >the worst because those updates had to come at the end. Get them out
    >of order, poof! Instant headache.

    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt <g>

    We are rebuilding the server tonight, and it is going to have every hot
    fix, service pack, patch, sticker, go faster stripe, etc applied in the
    recommended order, so we will see what happens in the morning.

    I have a freshly built server here with the same OS, that I installed
    fomr the CD, then applied SP1 which brought it right up to date and the
    script works there, so I'm hoping that if we do that to this other
    server, it will work out fine.

    Thanks for the reply

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 18, 2005
  16. Alan Silver

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Alan Silver" wrote in message news:eek:...
[...]

    You're welcome. Hope all goes well. Please keep us updated. It sure would
    be nice to know what the cause is but I understand it's not always possible
    to be able to devote time and resources when business is suffering.

    Good luck.

    Roland Hall, May 18, 2005
  17. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >: I have a freshly built server here with the same OS, that I installed
    >: fomr the CD, then applied SP1 which brought it right up to date and the
    >: script works there, so I'm hoping that if we do that to this other
    >: server, it will work out fine.
    >
    >You're welcome. Hope all goes well. Please keep us updated. It sure
    >would be nice to know what the cause is but I understand it's not
    >always possible to be able to devote time and resources when business
    >is suffering.

    Unfortunately, the rebuild didn't go as planned as the SQL man couldn't
    make it at the last minute, and the pre-built hard disk wouldn't boot.
    Looks like we have to live with this problem a little longer.

    Ho hum

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 19, 2005
  18. Alan Silver

[...]

    SQL guys can never be trusted. (O;=

    Roland Hall, May 20, 2005
  19. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    <snip>
    >: Unfortunately, the rebuild didn't go as planned as the SQL man couldn't
    >: make it at the last minute, and the pre-built hard disk wouldn't boot.
    >: Looks like we have to live with this problem a little longer.
    >:
    >: Ho hum
    >
    >SQL guys can never be trusted. (O;=

    <g>

    Oddly enough, the following day I was copying a file to the server when
    it suddenly rebooted itself. No idea why, but it did. When it came back
    up, the dictionary was working fine!! The machine had been rebooted the
    previous night after the aborted rebuild, so it wasn't that simple.

    I hate computers sometimes, they can be even more irrational and
    frustrating than children!!

    Anyway, we are going for another attempt this Weds, so we will see what
    happens.

    Ta ra

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, May 23, 2005
  20. Alan Silver

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Alan Silver" wrote in message news:QA3$...
    : <snip>
    : >: Unfortunately, the rebuild didn't go as planned as the SQL man couldn't
    : >: make it at the last minute, and the pre-built hard disk wouldn't boot.
    : >: Looks like we have to live with this problem a little longer.
    : >:
    : >: Ho hum
    : >
    : >SQL guys can never be trusted. (O;=
    :
    : <g>
    :
    : Oddly enough, the following day I was copying a file to the server when
    : it suddenly rebooted itself. No idea why, but it did. When it came back
    : up, the dictionary was working fine!! The machine had been rebooted the
    : previous night after the aborted rebuild, so it wasn't that simple.

    I was always fascinated by AI (Artificial Intelligence) but on-the-fly AI
    might make scheduling downtime more difficult.
    :
    : I hate computers sometimes, they can be even more irrational and
    : frustrating than children!!

    Ooh, that's a close one. The age of both might make a difference.

    Roland Hall, May 23, 2005