Excluding files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Hi,

    Am currently in the process of migrating a whole heap of v1.1 ASP.NET
    solutions to v2.0, and would be interested to know what others are doing
    about excluding files from projects.

    I maintain several music websites which contain lots of static binaries
    (newsletters, gig photos etc) which, once they are posted, never change.

    In v1.1, I was able to exclude these files from the project so that they
    wouldn't get deployed to the live site every time I made a change. However,
    in v2, when you select a file and click "Exclude from project", the file
    gets renamed with a ".exclude" extension which means that IIS can no longer
    find it during testing etc.

    The v1.1 functionality here worked perfectly in that the file was excluded
    from the project so that it didn't get unnecessarily redeployed every time,
    but it was not renamed so that IIS could still find it when requested. It's
    a real nuisance when making a small change to a site to be forced to upload
    megs and megs of binaries as well.

    What is the accepted wisdom for overcoming this in ASP.NET 2? I understand
    that there was a problem surround file exclusion during the the beta stage
    of ASP.NET 2, but I had thought that it was fixed in the final release.

    Mark
    Mark Rae, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Mark Rae

    Brock Allen Guest

    The problem is due to a fundamental change in how ASP.NET applications are
    managed & compiled. In v1.1 the "exclude" option for for the compilation
    that VS.NET 2003 was doing. In v2.0, VS.NET 2005 no longer doing a compilation.
    The new model is that ASP.NET does the entire compilation (if you're using
    on-demand compilation). This then changes the semantics of a project and
    what goes into the project folder, IMO. What goes into the ASP.NET project
    folder is what should be on your website, thus the notion of exclude really
    should be "don't put it in the project folder". I know VS.NET 2005 added
    an "exclude" option, but I think it's because too many people didn't embrace
    the new model, thus they had to do something to support the notion of "excluding"
    items. I guess the idea is that if it ends in .exclude then you should have
    some sort of script that filters those files prior to deployment.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Mark Rae

    > I guess the idea is that if it ends in .exclude then you should have some
    > sort of script that filters those files prior to deployment.

    And how would that help during testing / debugging...?
    Mark Rae, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Mark Rae

    Brock Allen Guest

    >> I guess the idea is that if it ends in .exclude then you should have
    >> some sort of script that filters those files prior to deployment.
    >>

    > And how would that help during testing / debugging...?

    I'm not sure that it does.

    Brock Allen, Dec 28, 2005