Exclusive file access

Yash

Our perl program, running with Active Perl on Windows 2000, spawns
multiple processes. Each process works on a large set of files
assigned to it

and operates on records read from them. In between the processing,
each process has to read a common text file, and update it
exclusively. So we

need to open a file for writing, update it and close it. When it has
been opened for writing, the other sibling processes that try to open
it should get blocked automatically, and resume once it has been
closed.
Can you tell me exactly which functions to use, and with what
parameter options, to make this possible.

Thanks