Exclusive file lock

Bruintje Beer

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to open a data file in exclusive mode not
using the nio package. The reason for not using the nio package is not
relevant I am just interrested in some kind of solution.

John

Hunter Gratzner

I was wondering if there is a way to open a data file in exclusive mode not
using the nio package. The reason for not using the nio package is not
relevant

So you thing we are not worthy to know some background. But we should
be glad to be at your service.

Hint: Hire a consultant if you need to have someone you can push
around.

Daniel Pitts

Bruintje said:
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to open a data file in exclusive mode not
using the nio package. The reason for not using the nio package is not
relevant I am just interrested in some kind of solution.

John
Exclusive file locks are often OS specific, and as such difficult to
have a OS neutral implementation.

Arne Vajhøj

Bruintje said:
I was wondering if there is a way to open a data file in exclusive mode not
using the nio package. The reason for not using the nio package is not
relevant I am just interrested in some kind of solution.

Write some C code and call it via JNI.

Arne

EJP

The reason for not using the nio package is not

Your reason for not using the only package that provides a solution is
*extremely* relevant.

You only have to use NIO for the lock, not for the I/O. Start with a
FileInputStream or RandomAccessFile, get the FileChannel from that, and
lock the file.