Exe file

Philip Seeger

Hi @ll

I'm sorry for that newbie question but how can I compile a program (a .py
file) to an executable file?

Peter Hansen

Philip said:
I'm sorry for that newbie question but how can I compile a program (a .py
file) to an executable file?

To save you what might be much wasted time on a wild goose chase, could
you please tell us why you want to do this? (performance, protection
from prying eyes, easier distribution, or some other reason?)

-Peter

Philip Seeger

For easier distribution. Otherwise the client computer had to have Python
installed.

Philip

Peter Hansen

Philip said:
For easier distribution. Otherwise the client computer had to have Python
installed.

In that case, and since you appear to be running on Windows (judging by
the headers in your post), look for "py2exe". You may also want to use
InnoSetup or another free installer, since py2exe does the packaging you
want but doesn't bundle the files all together for easy installation.

Py2exe plus InnoSetup is a very widely used and appreciated combo.

-Peter