    Thank you in advance for any reply

    Jean
    , May 4, 2006

  2. On Thu, 04 May 2006 06:55:40 -0700, jeanjean_5 wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm looking forward to purchase ExeCryptor (www.strongbit.com) to protect
    > my shareware. But before I'd like to know independent opinions/experience
    > if any.
    >
    > My question is: Anybody uses execryptor? Can you tell me smth about? Are
    > there some problems? Is it cost-effective?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any reply

    Looking in their web page, the whole thing looks like a lot of snake oil.
    Details about its crypto capabilities are scant, and what little is there
    looks suspiciously like snake oil. Anyway, this is off-topic here; you'd
    better ask in sci.crypt.
    Thomas Carter, May 4, 2006

    Thomas Carter wrote:

    [spamvertizement deleted]

    > Looking in their web page, the whole thing looks like a lot of snake oil.
    > Details about its crypto capabilities are scant, and what little is there
    > looks suspiciously like snake oil. Anyway, this is off-topic here; you'd
    > better ask in sci.crypt.

    This guy is a spammer for that company. He's spammed this same message
    50+ times over 50+ newsgroups in the last month. That site has a forum
    of users he could ask if he was really interested.
    , May 4, 2006
  4. Bill Guest

    First I don't find this question spam. ExeCryptor is enough good
    developer's solution to be discussed anywhere in programing message
    boards. And what about product site forum it is hard to get there any
    unbiased opinion.
    Bill, May 30, 2006
  5. Vladimir Oka Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > First I don't find this question spam. [censored] is enough good
    > developer's solution to be discussed anywhere in programing message
    > boards. And what about product site forum it is hard to get there any
    > unbiased opinion.

    Your post makes absolutely no sense as you fail to quote context. It is
    also highly off topic, and you also seem to be supporting spamming this
    Usenet newsgroup (it is NOT a message board).

    Please go away, unless you have a question or something else to say
    about ANSI/ISO Standard C programming language.
    Vladimir Oka, May 30, 2006

    I'm sorry my post has brought to such debates. Why I posted to C group
    a question related to ExeCryptor is that it is specific tool to protect
    applications and code written in different programming languages
    including C/C++. So I thought anybody is competent here in the subject.
    , Jun 12, 2006
  7. Vladimir Oka Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm sorry my post has brought to such debates. Why I posted to C group
    > a question related to ExeCryptor is that it is specific tool to protect
    > applications and code written in different programming languages
    > including C/C++. So I thought anybody is competent here in the subject.

    Anyboday competent in the subject discussed here knwos that there's no
    such thing as C/C++ language.
    Vladimir Oka, Jun 12, 2006

    Bill wrote:
    > First I don't find this question spam. ExeCryptor is enough good
    > developer's solution to be discussed anywhere in programing message
    > boards. And what about product site forum it is hard to get there any
    > unbiased opinion.

    It is common practice, at least in sci.crypt, to post "questions" about
    tools with links to the product. Routintely though they slip up and
    the posting IP and the website IP are in the same netblock.

    If your program is something that is easily duplicated by looking at a
    debug trace then you don't actually have "value". It's really that
    simple. Something of value would be something you could do or master.
    Programs like this ARE snake oil and really are counter-productive in a
    growing society. But they do have an impressive collection of
    meaningless gold stars from various random shareware download sites...
    Wow!

    For instance, it used to be mastering BSP-trees was tricky and if you
    could do it [ID Software's Doom for instance] you'd be set. Now ID
    could have obfuscated their code, but they're smarter and realized to
    hold the bag they would have to up the anty. While there were a lot of
    Doom clones there are very few clones of their latest monstrosity of an
    engine...

    Tom
    , Jun 12, 2006
  9. said:

    > I'm sorry my post has brought to such debates.

    Really? Forgive me for being sceptical about that.

    > Why I posted to C group
    > a question related to ExeCryptor is that it is specific tool to protect
    > applications and code written in different programming languages
    > including C/C++.

    No, it's a snake oil product being marketed by snake oil methods. But that's
    counter-productive as long as people in the spammed newsgroups keep
    pointing out why the product is snake oil.

    > So I thought anybody is competent here in the subject.

    Do you mean that anyone who thinks Execryptor is a pile of junk is therefore
    not competent in C programming? That attitude is not going to bring you any
    sales from C experts. But then you're not after experts, are you? You're
    after credulous morons who think your product has value.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Jun 12, 2006
  10. writes:
    > I'm sorry my post has brought to such debates. Why I posted to C group
    > a question related to ExeCryptor is that it is specific tool to protect
    > applications and code written in different programming languages
    > including C/C++. So I thought anybody is competent here in the subject.

    EXECryptor is off-topic in this newsgroup. If you continue posting
    about it here, people will continue to point out its flaws. Even if
    it's a good product (which I doubt), we will encourage people to
    boycott it simply because it's being advertised via spam.

    Spamming is disruptive and unethical, but if you don't care about
    that, consider this. Every time you post about your product here, you
    will lose customers. Cut your losses, go away, and never come back.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 12, 2006

    About execryptor I found this one:

    > I tried more than listed below protections. The strongest most
    > proof most flexible from this list is really EXECryptor form
    > http://www.strongbit.com/. It is not only the mine opinion. Most
    > software vendors agree > with me. The only thing I cannot
    > understand is the absence of reviews of EXECryptor in developer
    > press, nor > blogs/white papers. However it has very good opinions
    > in different programmer's disscussion. I can assume > it is one
    > one things that "its quality sells itself". The other "cons" is
    > EXECryptor does not support .NET platform working only for win32
    > exe's; dll's and othe PE's and only Windows compatible. However for
    > cross-> platform apps licensing there is HardKey License Manager
    > (as well from strogbit.com ). It has less 'bullet-
    > proof' antireverse/anticrack but more advanced and flexible
    > licensing features (however remains unbroken as well as
    > EXECryptor). So if smb. really needs to solve cracks/piracy
    > problem StrongBit really will DO. By the way as for .NET
    > protection (the original thread subject) Strongbit partners with
    > dotnet protector author 9Rays and they follozing their press
    > release they are planning to create universal app security. I'm
    > sure it is the only one protection that warrant attention of people
    > looking for commercial program anticrack security tools.
    > Regards
    > Mad
    > EXECryptor user

    As for me I'm trying execryptor now... What I can say... Another vote
    for it
    Also there is hot discussion generally about piracy and protection on
    http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?design.4.354142.23
    we must do this.
    , Jul 7, 2006
  12. said:

    > About execryptor I found this one:

    Oh, not this spam junk again.

    <snip>

    >> The only thing I cannot
    >> understand is the absence of reviews of EXECryptor in developer
    >> press, nor blogs/white papers.

    Probably because they realise it's snake oil.

    >> However it has very good opinions in different programmer's disscussion.

    Provided you carefully select only those opinions that you like, yes. Lots
    of people have explained why you should take such a program with a *huge*
    pinch of salt.

    <snip>

    > As for me I'm trying execryptor now... What I can say... Another vote
    > for it

    That makes... one so far.

    Richard Heathfield, Jul 7, 2006
  13. writes:
    > About execryptor I found this one:
    >
    >> I tried more than listed below protections. The strongest most

    [snip]
    > As for me I'm trying execryptor now... What I can say... Another vote
    > for it

    [snip]

    Since this was a direct followup to something I posted nearly a month

    Keith Thompson, Jul 7, 2006