executable perl man pages

Lynn David Newton

I've been programming in Perl for about five years. Yesterday I was
leafing though some things at the beginning of the Camel book, which I
just bought, and found the place on page xxv where it says that one
may run the name of a Perl man page as an executable, with a search
pattern argument, e.g.,

perlop comma

That piece of news struck me like a thunderbolt, as I'd never known
that before. Furthermore, it's not been possible on any system I've
ever been on, including any that I presently have access to: my
current SuSe Linux 9.1 installation, various Red Hat, FreeBSD, Debian,
and SunOS systems.

So what are all those systems missing to make that capacity possible,
assuming that the Camel book knows what it's talking about and that
all the systems I can access are missing something?

Matt Garrish

Lynn David Newton said:
I've been programming in Perl for about five years. Yesterday I was
leafing though some things at the beginning of the Camel book, which I
just bought, and found the place on page xxv where it says that one
may run the name of a Perl man page as an executable, with a search
pattern argument, e.g.,

[snip explanation of it not working]
So what are all those systems missing to make that capacity possible,
assuming that the Camel book knows what it's talking about and that
all the systems I can access are missing something?

Those tools never got bundled with Perl. Google on pmtools if you're
interested, or check here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g...=en&lr=&[email protected]&rnum=26

and here:

http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_installed_modules

(Just scroll down a bit on the last one)

Matt