Executables under Win32

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fuzzyman, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
    or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
    write ?

    I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
    for a newbie to use my scripts.

    Fuzzyman
    ---
    Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. -Milan Kundera

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk
    Where Headspace Meets Cyberspace
    Cyberpunk and Science Resource Site
    Exploring the worlds of Psychology, Spirituality, Science and Computing
    --
    http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk
    Fuzzyman, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Fuzzyman

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:

    > IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
    > or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
    > write ?
    >
    > I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
    > for a newbie to use my scripts.

    (Excellently asked question! We get this one often, but rarely so
    clearly. :)

    There is py2exe and the Macmillan Installer, as well as some lesser
    known alternatives. py2exe runs on Windows only, the other on Windows
    and Linux (at least). A quick Google for either should get you there...

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Fuzzyman

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Fuzzyman wrote:
    > >
    > > IS there a tool to make Python Executables (binaries) under Win32...
    > > or must people have a distribution of Python to use any scripts I
    > > write ?
    > >
    > > I don't need to hide my source code - but would liek to make it easy
    > > for a newbie to use my scripts.

    > (Excellently asked question! We get this one often, but rarely so
    > clearly. :)

    Of course, having written this, I should have stopped myself from
    answering as I did and directed you to the FAQ!

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq04.028.htp
    Peter Hansen, Jul 9, 2003
  4. > >There is py2exe and the Macmillan Installer, as well as some lesser
    > >known alternatives. py2exe runs on Windows only, the other on Windows
    > >and Linux (at least). A quick Google for either should get you there...
    > >
    > >-Peter

    > Many thanks :)

    And let me say that py2exe is amazingly simple to use, and works
    flawlessly (at least for the 4-5 applications I've used it for) even
    for Tcl/Tk programs that some of the other .exe options have issues
    with.

    Also, if you need an independent installer program to install the
    resulting .exe and files, innosetup works very well
    (www.innosetup.com).

    (Thanks to everyone working on those projects!!!)
    Kevin.
    Kevin Cazabon, Jul 9, 2003