Execute an external application on the server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Scott Sommerfeldt, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. ***I am very new to ASP.net***
    I have a simple page that gets a users input and then executes an exteranl
    application to create a support ticket in HEAT using the users input as
    arguments
    All I need to do is execute the application on the server with the arguments
    provided by the web page this is what I have tried but unsuccessfully
    Private Sub Submit1_ServerClick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles Submit1.ServerClick
    Dim objProcess As System.Diagnostics.Process = New
    System.Diagnostics.Process()
    objProcess.StartInfo.FileName = "C:\externalApp.exe" 'Set the
    Command File
    objProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = TextBox1.Text
    objProcess.Start()
    End Sub

    This code does not work, as the application is not executed.
    Any Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Scott Sommerfeldt

    Scott Sommerfeldt, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Scott Sommerfeldt

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    Its security issue. the default asp.net user is not allowed to activate
    external applications.

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)52-8888377

    Natty Gur, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Hmmm.
    Thanks for you response
    Is there anyway that you know of to change the security for just one
    exeternal application or is it a all or nothing type of deal.
    Thanks,
    Scott Sommerfeldt

    Scott Sommerfeldt, Jun 8, 2004