execute + ArraySearch causes "Expected end of statement" error - Why?

Phil Powell

Here is the function ArraySearch:

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'ArraySearch will return an integer value indicating the first
occurrence of a string
'within an array. for now it only does a case-sensitive
first-occurrence search.
'
'Created by Phil Powell on 6/28/2002
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Function ArraySearch(myArray, myString)
Dim i
ArraySearch = -1
for i = LBound(myArray) to UBound(myArray)
if strcomp(myArray(i), myString) = 0 and ArraySearch < 0 then
ArraySearch = i
next
End Function

Ok now here is the offending code:

formVarsArray = array("gbID", "firstname", "lastname", "email", "url",
"fave_bands", "gb_entry")

if ArraySearch(formVarsArray, key) >= 0 then
execute(key & " = """ & Request.Form(key) & """" & vbcrlf)
if key = "gbID" then gbID = CInt(gbID)
end if

When running this code I get the following error:

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0401'

Expected end of statement

/soa/val_cma/gb_listing_edit.asp, line 46

Here is line 46:
execute(key & " = """ & Request.Form(key) & """" & vbcrlf)

I am trying to dynamically set all variables whose names are keys in
the Request.Form collection object to their perspective values, for
example

Request.Form("firstname") = "Phil"
therefore firstname will = "Phil" also

So, basically, what's up? Why is this breaking?

Phil

Ray at

I hate the execute statement. It should be removed. Okay, not really...

Maybe you mean:

execute("response.write key & "" = "" & Request.Form(key) & vbcrlf")

Ray at home