Execute bit in .tar.gz file produced by distutils

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dan Goodman, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a problem with using distutils and was hoping someone might be
    able to help. The .exe and .zip files work fine - and easy_install uses
    the .zip file by default it seems - but in the .tar.gz file the execute
    bit is not set for any directories meaning a user on linux has to go
    through doing chmod a+x on them all by hand. I produce the files on my
    computer, which is Windows 7, and presumably this is the problem but I'm
    a bit surprised that it doesn't produce a useable .tar.gz file so maybe
    I'm missing something obvious?

    The command I run to produce the distribution files is:

    setup.py sdist --formats=gztar,zip

    The versions I'm running are Python 2.6.2 and distutils 2.6.6.

    I did notice that if I run a cygwin bash shell and go to the project
    directory (i.e. /cygdrive/d/...) and run "ls -l" the permissions are set
    the same way as they appear in the .tar.gz file (i.e. execute bit not
    set), but I'm not sure if these values are meaningful because they
    probably don't correspond to any underlying values in the Win 7 file system.

    Any help much appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman, Feb 22, 2011