execute html link instead of download

Sebastian Schmidt

hello,

for an local ethernet webpage, i would like to link to several .exe files.
fellowing this links, should execute them.
but all browsers ask for download them.

is there any way to force browsers (not only IE) to execute this files.
a little java script for example?

of course i don´t wan´t to change the settings of the browsers because, they
should also work online safely.

thanks for help

seb

Greg Griffiths

The action that a browser takes when given a particular file type - such as
..exe or .xls - depends on the local configuraiton of the machine and this can
not be altered by a webpage script - consider the consequences for a machine if
a hacker / virus writer could change the configuraiton of your machine so that
they could run code without you agreeing to it !!!.

rf

[top posting corrected]

Think about it. I could "force" your browser to execute "format c:".

Why do you think there is so much press over the holes in microsofts
security :)

Cheers
Richard.

brucie

hello,
g'day

for an local ethernet webpage, i would like to link to several .exe files.
fellowing this links, should execute them.

This article presents the free LaunchinIE ActiveX Control that will
enable HTML pages to start whatever application on the client's machine,
without security warnings. To ensure security, LaunchinIE needs to be
carefully configured client-side; due to this restriction it's only fit
for intranet use.
http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/article.asp?id=/launchinie

Sebastian Schmidt

oh thanks

i was searching for something like this

and it is possible
thanks again

OllimaX

hello,

for an local ethernet webpage, i would like to link to several .exe
files.

Hi,
Interrupt me if I'm writing bullwhatever, but perhaps you could substitute
these .exe -files with java -appletts?
There are with much less securityrisks, and therefore can be used in
intranetWhat?

Oll¡maX!

Louis Somers

hello,

for an local ethernet webpage, i would like to link to several .exe
files. fellowing this links, should execute them.
but all browsers ask for download them.

is there any way to force browsers (not only IE) to execute this
files. a little java script for example?

of course i don´t wan´t to change the settings of the browsers
because, they should also work online safely.

thanks for help

seb

Seen this on many mag-cover-cd.

Havn't figured it out but they use an external VB program.

Sebastian Schmidt

yes, i could, if i could java

i only started exploring java, so i don´t have an idea how i should do
this...

and the way mentioned earlier was what i was seaching for