Execute Java program from file extension

Guest

Hello,

Hmmm, I have a plumbing problem - and it is difficult to explain.
I need to connect a Java program on the client to some server XML codes.

Basically, I've been given a Java program to execute on client side.
When the user hits the "Download" button, the server creates an XML file
and send it to the client as a file with the file extension ".rcm".
This file extension has already been registered via an install program on
the client.
It will then spawn/execute the client Java program.

I'm not sure what is the server-side response that I have to send to the
client before the actual data ( that is the ".rcm" file).

Is there some magic HTTP header that I send that can get this to work?

Here is a stab at what I thought would do it:

Thanks in advance for you help.

Regards,
bruce

Toby A Inkster

nospam said:
Basically, I've been given a Java program to execute on client side.
When the user hits the "Download" button, the server creates an XML
file and send it to the client as a file with the file extension ".rcm".
This file extension has already been registered via an install program
on the client.

You want to set up the MIME-Type "application/x-rcm+xml" on the client
and server.

That is, in the client's browser settings, configure
"application/x-rcm+xml" to be opened with your Java program. On the
server, configure the web server software (e.g. Apache) to send a

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 18 days, 4 min.]

Gnocchi all'Amatriciana al Forno
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/15/gnocchi-allamatriciana/