    docuemtnation on executing a command line "command" would be great!

    Thanks,

    Brad

    Brad Pears, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Take a look at the .Run method of the WScript.Shell method in the Microsoft
    Windows Scripting Host documentation.
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9)

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 28, 2004

  3. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    This will work in an ASP script? ( I know nothing about ASP) I am getting
    this documetnation for someone who only knows a bit more than me!!!

    Thanks,

    Brad
    message news:O%...

    Brad Pears, Sep 30, 2004
  4. yes

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  5. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    OK, do you have to add a reference somewhere to "wscript.shell" in order to
    use it's methods within an ASP script or will it "just be available"??

    To use this in a VB or Access project, what reference would you add?

    Thanks,

    brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Sep 30, 2004
  6. "Brad Pears" <> wrote in message
    > OK, do you have to add a reference somewhere to "wscript.shell" in order
    > use it's methods within an ASP script or will it "just be available"??

    You'd just create the object with CreateObject("WScript.Shell"). The object
    will have its properties and methods available to itself!

    > To use this in a VB or Access project, what reference would you add?

    Windows Script Host Object Model, I'd imagine. But as this is an ASP group,
    I wouldn't trust this answer as fact.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  7. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    in ASP would you this then...

    set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    WshShell.run "some command to run"

    the documentation you pojted me to uses
    "set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject not just the CreateObject function...

    WHich is correct in ASP?

    Thanks,

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Yes, just CreateObject. Have you even made an ASP page yet? Instead of
    just talking about the theoreticals, you may find it more helpful to start
    playing with some code in an ASP page.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  9. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Yes, our graphic designer already has the page done. We do not have ASP
    here - she can only run it on our providers windows box. I'll will give her
    this test code to see if she can get simehting simply like a "dir" to
    work...

    Thanks,

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Sep 30, 2004
  10. Well, just remember that is ASP, there is no interface to see when you
    execute DIR... You'd have to dump the results to a file on the server and
    read that or read the StdOut of the command... Good luck trying to write
    and debug code without a server to work on there! That's rough! You don't
    have any Windows NT, 2000, or XP Pro machines even? All you have to do is
    install IIS, which comes with those OSes, and there you have ASP support.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  11. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Hey, I never knew that!!!

    Yes, we have NT, 2000 and XP... IIS is installed on one of our win2k
    servers. How do I setup a test ASP page???

    Remember, I'm knew to this!

    Thanks,

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Sep 30, 2004
  12. Put your asp page in the home directory of your Web site. If you're looking
    for tutorials on things like this, try www.iisfaq.com or results from
    Google. IIS configuration is beyond the scope of this group.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Sep 30, 2004
  13. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Ray, I am able to run ASP using IIS BUT, are there any freely available
    tools out there I can use to modify ASP pages?

    I was able to downlaod and install a trial version of ASPRunner which
    generates a bunch of ASP pages automatically for you from given DB tables.
    However, if you need to make any mods to them, you need an ASP SDK of some
    sort. We do not have an ASP product installed here. There must be some
    freebie tool out there...

    Thanks,

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Oct 1, 2004
  14. All you need is a text editor. Notepad will do. Personally, I use Textpad.
    Here's a breakdown of some popular editors that people use.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2500

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 1, 2004
  15. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    So what do I do? Do I just edit the .asp form then?

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Oct 1, 2004
  16. What does one normally do with a text editor? Yes, you open
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\yourfile.asp and write your html and ASP code.

    <head>
    </head>
    Date and time: <%=Now%>

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 1, 2004
  17. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Ok, we have Visual Studio .NET loaded and I was able to open an ASP page
    using that.

    Now I have a direct ASP related question for you ...

    In Access or VB (non web based) if I wanted to edit check the value a user
    is entering into a field, I would place some code on the text field, or on a
    command button somewhere to validate - basic editing we are talking about...
    How do I do this in ASP?? There isn't a "form" per se, so where do I place
    code that I want to run when a user clicks a button or enters data in a
    particular field?

    For instance, If I wanted to do a test, and duplicated a line defining a
    button and give it a different name, I suspect I would then see this new
    buttoin show up on the form when I run the project next time, but how would
    I reference this in the code so that whenever I click it, the code will run?

    Here is a button definition line I added...

    input class=button type=button value="Test" ID="Test1" NAME="Test1"

    How do I reference this so that when it is clicked, the code will run? I am
    used to on click events and such so this is very new to me...

    Thanks,

    Brad

    message news:...

    Brad Pears, Oct 1, 2004
  18. "Brad Pears" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, we have Visual Studio .NET loaded and I was able to open an ASP page
    > using that.
    >
    > Now I have a direct ASP related question for you ...

    I suggest you start a new thread for a new question. Otherwise you'll
    probably only get an answer from me instead of getting a handful of answers,
    some of which may be better than mine. :]

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 1, 2004
  19. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Good point - thanks Ray I appreciate your help thus far.

    Brad
    message news:eZ1pQv%...

    Brad Pears, Oct 1, 2004