Executing a hidden/background program

Discussion in 'Python' started by jim3371@googlemail.com, Nov 1, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Using wxPython, I'm looking to build a GUI app for a daemon-based app,
    on Win32 platform, how would I go about executing the daemon app so it
    stays in the background when the Py app is running? It's critical that
    the child process exit when the Py app exits/crashes.
     
    , Nov 1, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jim,

    On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:02 PM, <> wrote:
    > Using wxPython, I'm looking to build a GUI app for a daemon-based app,
    > on Win32 platform, how would I go about executing the daemon app so it
    > stays in the background when the Py app is running? It's critical that
    > the child process exit when the Py app exits/crashes.
    > --
    > http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
    >


    You probably want to create a Windows service with Python. There are
    various ways to accomplish this. While I haven't done it myself, I
    found you some links:

    http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/09/running-python-script-as-windows.html
    http://essiene.blogspot.com/2005/04/python-windows-services.html
    http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi.html

    Then the service can basically listen for input. You could probably do
    something similar by creating a local server with cherrypy or some
    such. I like the pubsub module for communication in wxPython.
    Fortunately you can use it outside of the toolkit as well:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pubsub/1 to 3

    There's also a win32 mailing list for Python users. If you have
    specific questions about creating a service, that's probably the best
    place to ask. Here's a link to that as well:
    http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-win32

    HTH

    Mike
     
    Mike Driscoll, Nov 2, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Nov 2, 3:59 am, "Mike Driscoll" <> wrote:
    > You probably want to create a Windows service with Python. There are
    > various ways to accomplish this.


    Was considering a Windows service too, however would like to avoid
    that as non-Admin users may not be able to do that. While I'm not
    familiar with threading, I'm considering starting a seperate thread
    and use a function such as os.pexec that hangs until the external
    daemon .exe exists.
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #3
  4. imageguy Guest

    On Nov 2, 6:32 am, wrote:
    > On Nov 2, 3:59 am, "Mike Driscoll" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You probably want to create a Windows service with Python. There are
    > > various ways to accomplish this.

    >
    > Was considering a Windows service too, however would like to avoid
    > that as non-Admin users may not be able to do that. While I'm not
    > familiar with threading, I'm considering starting a seperate thread
    > and use a function such as os.pexec that hangs until the external
    > daemon .exe exists.


    Check out the wx.lib.delayedresults option in the demo.

    Since wx.App needs to run as the main thread, you might be able to run
    your as the 'delayedresult'. As for the main frame of your app,
    simply Hide()/Show() when it needs to be visible. When the wx.App
    closes, the thread running the service will automatically shut down.

    Other than that ... I think it is a bit more complicated and will
    probably require asyncore and/or asynchat.
    g.
     
    imageguy, Nov 3, 2008
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Shadow123
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    309
    Shadow123
    Aug 11, 2008
  2. Catherine Moroney
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    3,061
    James Mills
    Jan 15, 2009
  3. manish sahu
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    801
    Keith Thompson
    Feb 13, 2010
  4. Rick
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    8,498
    Alexey Smirnov
    Apr 13, 2010
  5. SolarCanine
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    325
    SolarCanine
    Sep 20, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page