    I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server. Since
    there is no command line with windows, i want to execute script from a web
    page. Is that possible? Or am i just dreaming?

    Monkey Man, Feb 5, 2004

  2. "Monkey Man" <> wrote in
    news:luuUb.9762$:

    > Hey there,
    > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server.
    > Since there is no command line with windows, i want to execute script
    > from a web page. Is that possible? Or am i just dreaming?

    You seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Please try to define
    the question properly. In doing so, either you will find the answer
    yourself, or you'll be helping others help you.

    Start -> Run -> command <enter> (Win 9x)
    Start -> Run -> cmd <enter> (Win NT,2K,XP)

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Monkey Man <> wrote:

    > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server.
    > Since there is no command line with windows,

    Yes there is.

    > i want to execute script
    > from a web page. Is that possible?

    Yes. Sounds like you may want to do CGI. Search the web for CGI FAQ for
    more information.

    CGI questions should be posted to comp.infosystems.authoring.cgi.

    > Or am i just dreaming?

    Maybe.

    --
    David Wall

    David K. Wall, Feb 5, 2004

    Oops, make that comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

    David K. Wall, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Monkey Man wrote:
    > Hey there,
    > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server. Since
    > there is no command line with windows,

    What the devil ever gave you the impression that there is no command line
    with Windows?

    Chris Mattern

    Chris Mattern, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Chris Mattern <> writes:

    > Monkey Man wrote:
    > > Hey there,
    > > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server. Since
    > > there is no command line with windows,

    > What the devil ever gave you the impression that there is no command line
    > with Windows?

    I think he meant no remote access to the command line (like
    rlogind/telnetd/sshd as you might find on a real operating system).

    These don't come as standard on Windows but you can get them I think.

    Anyhow, this has nothing to do with Perl.

    --
    \\ ( )
    . _\\__[oo

    Brian McCauley, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Monkey Man wrote:
    > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server.
    > Since there is no command line with windows,

    Really? Since when?
    It may not be the most powerful or useful shell, but cmd.exe and command.com
    look like command line shells to me.

    > i want to execute script
    > from a web page. Is that possible?

    Well, sure, but why go the difficult route, including all those security
    issues.

    > Or am i just dreaming?

    Well, yes, although on a different topic then you thought.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 5, 2004
  8. Monkey Man

    Chris Guest

    Monkey Man wrote:
    > Hey there,
    > I have a perl script that i would like to run it on a windows server. Since
    > there is no command line with windows, i want to execute script from a web
    > page. Is that possible? Or am i just dreaming?

    I think Brian McCauley successfully interpretted your question here, and
    now you can, with his help, receive a reasonable answer.

    Yes, you can do this with Windows (assuming Brian is right and I think
    he is -- you want to know if you can host a web page that executes a
    command on another machine and writes the results of the commend
    executed on the remote machine to a web page), but just be aware you are
    opening up a (huge) security hole on the remote machine when you do this.

    On Windows, you can do this natively in ASP, or you can do it through a
    Perl CGI script.

    See these programs for direction here:

    CGI:
    http://www.technologease.com/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?config=resume&tmpl=listing&setid=2&progid=3

    ASP:
    http://www.technologease.com/cgi-bin/listing.cgi?config=resume&tmpl=listing&setid=5&progid=1

    Both are written in Perl. One is CGI and the other requires the
    PerlScript Classic ASP engine installed. If you want to (horrors) do
    this in VBScript, then the essential code is:

    Sub Shell( strCmd )
    Set WshShell = Server.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
    Set oExec = WshShell.Exec( "%COMSPEC% /c " & strCmd )
    Set oExec = Nothing
    Set WshShell = Noting
    End Sub

    I'll leave it to you to translate the complete Perl examples I gave you
    above into VBScript using the above fragment if you want since this IS a
    Perl NG and other than providing you with Perl code to do what (I think)
    you want, this has nothing to do with Perl. (I should be shot for
    posting VB code, probably.)

    I would post a disclaimer about you opening up some huge security hole
    using the above code, but since your target is a Windows box, no
    disclaimer will be necessary since Windows is basically Swiss Cheese
    right out of the box as it is... 8-( But don't blame me if you get
    into trouble with the above code. I run that code, but locked down
    (which I won't get into here.)

    Finally, Windows DOES have a remote command utility called RCMD which
    you can install from the Windows Resource Kit CD...

    Chris
    -----
    Chris Olive
    chris -at- --spammers-are-vermin-- technologEase -dot- com
    http://www.technologEase.com
    (pronounced "technologies")

    Chris, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Monkey Man

    Eric SALGON Guest

    That's right, if fact it's a way to run a command remotely. But it works now
    !!!

    Basically the problem was that I'm trying to execute a system command with an
    "anonymous" account. With an administrative account who has right to log on
    locally on the server, it's much better (of course ...)

    I have appreciated your efficient help

    Thanks to all

    Eric

    In article <LCEUb.19176$>,