Executing programs in "background"

wstach

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP, IIS & ASP to develop a web service that executes
several programs (command line .exe files) on a server, shows next
webpage with info on progress in execution, and presents the results
page. Basically, on the first webpage (html) user chooses which
programs are to be executed, and then an asp script runs the programs
on the server.

The problem is that I don't know how to run these programs in
"background" such that my webpage with "progress info" can be loaded
and refreshed. Each program generates a file, so it is easy to figure
out which programs are complete. At the end of the day, I would like
to have a list of programs with labels "incomplete" or "complete". The
webpage should refresh every couple of seconds.

So far I have put the sequence of programs to be executed in asp file
and it is working, but I cannot display/refresh the webpage during the
execution. The webpage is being displayed after all programs are
complete.

Any suggestions are very appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Wojciech

[...]