Executing Python code on another computer

SiWi

Hello community,
I googled for an answer of the following problem, but I couldn't find
anything.
I've got a netbook and my fast workstation compter, which I usually
use for developing.
But I'd also like to take my netbook around the house and to develop
Python programms on it.
The problem is that naturally a netbook is not the fastest computer
you could find.

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

Yes but it isn't really a Python question. I suggest Google but you
haven't given us enough information, particularly what OSs you are
running. If it was me I would simply use the netbook as a thin client
for programs that I am writing and running on the main server. In my
case a simple xterm would do the job since vi is my IDE and bash is my
runtime environment. If you are using a GUI IDE you may be able to run
the GUI app on the server with the display on the netbook.

Krister Svanlund

Hello community,
I googled for an answer of the following problem, but I couldn't find
anything.
I've got a netbook and my fast workstation compter, which I usually
use for developing.
But I'd also like to take my netbook around the house and to develop
Python programms on it.
The problem is that naturally a netbook is not the fastest computer
you could find.

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

I recommend setting up a SSH server on your stationary and run
something like emacs. It's how I'm doing it anyway.

Arnaud Delobelle

Hello community,
I googled for an answer of the following problem, but I couldn't find
anything.
I've got a netbook and my fast workstation compter, which I usually
use for developing.
But I'd also like to take my netbook around the house and to develop
Python programms on it.
The problem is that naturally a netbook is not the fastest computer
you could find.

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

There are plenty of ways to do this - but they are not really related
to Python. What is most convenient for you will probably depend on
the tools that you are used to using, your operating system and your
level of expertise with configuring network services. On mac and
linux it is very easy to set up an ssh server on your workstation.
You can then edit your files remotely - the method might be different
depending on your operating system, unless you use something like
Emacs - and also execute them remotely.

James Harris

Hello community,
I googled for an answer of the following problem, but I couldn't find
anything.
I've got a netbook and my fast workstation compter, which I usually
use for developing.
But I'd also like to take my netbook around the house and to develop
Python programms on it.
The problem is that naturally a netbook is not the fastest computer
you could find.

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm
developing on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the
script execute on the workstation pc and write the output back on the
netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

Yes. Assuming you can cope with the relatively small netbook screen
here are some options:

1. Telnet (ok within a home and where no graphics needed)
2. Ssh (ok where no graphics needed)
3. An X-Windows server on your netbook (ok under Linux but good
Windows X Servers may be limited or nonexistent)
4. VNC (e.g. RealVnc) to get a remote view of the workstation's
screen.

I use telnet and RealVnc for purposes similar to those you describe.

James

SiWi

Yes but it isn't really a Python question.  I suggest Google but you
haven't given us enough information, particularly what OSs you are
running.  If it was me I would simply use the netbook as a thin client
for programs that I am writing and running on the main server.  In my
case a simple xterm would do the job since vi is my IDE and bash is my
runtime environment.  If you are using a GUI IDE you may be able to run
the GUI app on the server with the display on the netbook.

I'm normally using IDLE and sometimes PyScripter on Windows Vista. The
netbook is Windows XP. Should I switch to Vim or Emacs?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain

I'm normally using IDLE and sometimes PyScripter on Windows Vista. The
netbook is Windows XP. Should I switch to Vim or Emacs?

Umm... Yes? It's still not a Python question and is in fact a
religious one. Other people have different religions. You should
probably ask this question on a list dedicated to using Windows. What
you want to know is how to run programs remotely. The fact that it is
a Python program is irrelevant.

I'm not trying to brush you off. I'm just trying to point you
somewhere that can answer your question better.

Jean-Michel Pichavant

SiWi said:
I'm normally using IDLE and sometimes PyScripter on Windows Vista. The
netbook is Windows XP. Should I switch to Vim or Emacs?
Vista supports rdesktop , you could use it.
I don't know if XP is shipped with a rdesktop client though (goggle for
remote desktop).

JM

Dave Angel

SiWi said:
I'm normally using IDLE and sometimes PyScripter on Windows Vista. The
netbook is Windows XP. Should I switch to Vim or Emacs?
In that case, consider using RemoveDesktop, which is built into both Xp
and Vista.

DaveA

Stefan Behnel

Dave Angel, 19.02.2010 20:04:
In that case, consider using RemoveDesktop, which is built into both Xp
and Vista.

Careful, sounds like malware to me.

Stefan

Dennis Lee Bieber

Dave Angel, 19.02.2010 20:04:

Careful, sounds like malware to me.
I'm hoping that is "RemoTeDesktop"

And just as an FYI: XP Home edition does not support acting as
server in RemoteDesktop, only client. No idea if the various levels of
Vista have similar breaks.

Aahz

So I wondered if it was possible to send the Python code I'm developing
on the netbook to the workstation pc via wlan, let the script execute
on the workstation pc and write the output back on the netbook.

Is there any possibilty to achieve that goal?

Fabric might help, but I think it relies on ssh. py.test also has remote
capabilities.

http://fabfile.org/
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/