execution order in list/generator expression

bonono

Hi,

I am wondering how this is evaluated.

a=(x for x in [1,2,3,4])
p=[4,5]

c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

c is []

but if I expand a first, like a = list(a)

c is [4]

So it seems that the "if" part don't get expanded ?

Devan L

Hi,

I am wondering how this is evaluated.

a=(x for x in [1,2,3,4])
p=[4,5]

c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

c is []

but if I expand a first, like a = list(a)

c is [4]

So it seems that the "if" part don't get expanded ?

Well, for every element in p it recalculates list(a). Since the
generator is exhausted after making a list from it, it gives you
nothing afterwards. So after it checks the first element, it's
equivalent to [x for x in p if x in []].

Robert Kern

Hi,

I am wondering how this is evaluated.

a=(x for x in [1,2,3,4])
p=[4,5]

c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

c is []

No it isn't.

In [1]: a=(x for x in [1,2,3,4])

In [2]: p=[4,5]

In [3]: c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

In [4]: c
Out[4]: [4]

I'm willing to bet that you used up the 'a' iterator before you ran that
list comprehension, though.

In [5]: c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

In [6]: c
Out[6]: []

Note that "x in list(a)" gets executed on each iteration, but the
iterator is used up on the first time.

In [7]: a=(x for x in [1,2,3,4])

In [8]: p = [4, 5, 2, 3]

In [9]: c=[x for x in p if x in list(a)]

In [10]: c
Out[10]: [4]

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

bonono

Ah, no wonder. I test with p=[5,4].

thanks. so basically, I still need to expand it first given this
behaviour.