Execution time problem with Insert Query using PreparedStatement

Discussion in 'Java' started by Manoj S. P., Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Manoj S. P.

    Manoj S. P. Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am using a PreparedStatement to insert around 5500 records into an
    MS-Access Database (Access 2000).
    The records are initially fetched from DBF files (dbaseV).
    The table into which the Insert query is being performed has 120
    columns.
    When I run my application to do the needful as explained above, it
    takes me a whopping 2 hours :)O) to finish the task.
    I find it ridiculous but am not able to pin down the problem that is
    causing it.
    My machine has a Celeron 433 MHz with 256 Mb RAM.
    Even if I discount for the lack of a faster processor, I do not think
    the time factor can be cut down any more than 50% (that too I consider
    as fat chance!!!) just by upgrading hardware.
    I request all those who have read this to please help me in this
    regard.

    Thanking you all in advance for the help.

    Best Regards,
    Manoj S.P.

    Manoj S. P., Jun 30, 2003

  2. Manoj S. P. wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am using a PreparedStatement to insert around 5500 records into an
    > MS-Access Database (Access 2000).
    > The records are initially fetched from DBF files (dbaseV).
    > The table into which the Insert query is being performed has 120
    > columns.
    > When I run my application to do the needful as explained above, it
    > takes me a whopping 2 hours :)O) to finish the task.

    Which JDBC driver you are using? How you put the
    records into Access? How you read the records from DBF files?
    You see there are lot of questions. Decrsibe your problem
    exactly. You don't need another machine, you don't need a
    Mainframe, you don't more electricity, you don't need ...

    A.G.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andree_Gro=DFe?=, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Manoj S. P.

    Manoj S. P. Guest

    Hi Andree,

    Thanks for your response.

    I have attempted to answer your questions pointwise:
    1) Which JDBC driver you are using?
    The experimental JDBC:ODBC Driver!!!
    2) How you put the records into Access?
    Through JDBC-ODBC using a Prepared Statement.
    3) How you read the records from DBF files?
    I have a custom DLL which creates two DSNs on the fly.
    One for the DBF and the other for the Access mdb database.

    I hope the above information would suffice for you.
    Also, I have not been able to find an Open Source Type 4 Driver for
    Access as well as DBF. If possible, please give me information on this
    too.

    Best Regards,
    Manoj S. Panicker

    Manoj S. P., Jul 2, 2003