exerb: packer?

David Garamond

Is it safe to use executable packer (like UPX) to the .exe generated by
Exerb? I've tried with some simple scripts and it seems to work ok.

Emmanuel Touzery

Hello,

Is it safe to use executable packer (like UPX) to the .exe generated by
Exerb? I've tried with some simple scripts and it seems to work ok.

are you getting noticable improvement, even if you asked EXERB to compress the
binary?

emmanuel

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:39:19 +0900, David Garamond
Is it safe to use executable packer (like UPX) to the .exe generated by
Exerb? I've tried with some simple scripts and it seems to work ok.

what about isng lzma compression in exerb? the latest nsis installer
does it, and the 7zip compressor does it too. It seem it should get
20% less than bzip2

David Garamond

Emmanuel said:
are you getting noticable improvement, even if you asked EXERB to compress the
binary?

Thanks, I didn't know that exerb can produced compressed binary. I've
just read recipe.en.rd. However, exerb doesn't seem to recognize the
compress directive or the --compress option. This is exerb 3.2.0.

David Garamond

gabriele said:
what about isng lzma compression in exerb? the latest nsis installer
does it, and the 7zip compressor does it too. It seem it should get
20% less than bzip2

I also just found out about 7zip. Very cool, Thanks! (Hopefully it will
be available in other platforms beside Windows soon).

Takashi & Kayoko Sano

Hi,

David Garamond said:
Thanks, I didn't know that exerb can produced compressed binary. I've
just read recipe.en.rd. However, exerb doesn't seem to recognize the
compress directive or the --compress option. This is exerb 3.2.0.
I believe that exerb no longer supports compression option since 3.0.0,
though it used to be supported by previous versions.

Takashi Sano

Emmanuel Touzery

Takashi said:
I believe that exerb no longer supports compression option since 3.0.0,
though it used to be supported by previous versions.
wow, then definitely using an external compression tool will be
needed... compression makes a *huge* difference on fxruby apps (eg 5Mb
-> 1.8Mb for small apps where most of the code is FOX and FXRuby).

emmanuel

Jim Moy

Emmanuel said:
Takashi & Kayoko Sano wrote:
wow, then definitely using an external compression tool will be
needed... compression makes a *huge* difference on fxruby apps (eg 5Mb
-> 1.8Mb for small apps where most of the code is FOX and FXRuby).

Has anyone re-built FXRuby to omit classes they don't use? Is this
process easy or involved?