Exercises to help me learn c++?

eli m

Do you guys have any suggestions for tiny projects that i could do to help me get familiar with c++?

Luca Risolia

Do you guys have any suggestions for tiny projects that i could do
to help me get familiar with c++?

"The C++ Programming Language" by Stroustrup includes many exercises for
each chapter of the book. Each exercise is marked with a number, from 1
to 4, indicating the level of difficulty (1 is few minutes, while 4 is
1-2 days typically). Some personal solutions are here:
http://www.linux-projects.org/listing/cpp_solutions/

woodbrian77

Until you get a real job,

There are lots of employers using C++ 2011.
where you won't be able to use C++ 2011

because:

1) The project uses a compiler that doesn't support C++ 2011[*]

2) The coding guidelines don't allow C++ 2011 constructs.

3) You've been hired to maintain legacy code

While conceding your first point about change being
disruptive, I'll point out that legacy code bases
usually compile fine with a C++ 2011 compiler.
At this 2013 date, part of the maintenance should be
updating the code to take advantage of C++ 2011. If
the transition to C++ 2011 hasn't already started,
I'd keep looking for another job.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - so far G-d has helped us.
http://webEbenezer.net

Jorgen Grahn

Until you get a real job,

There are lots of employers using C++ 2011.
where you won't be able to use C++ 2011

because:

1) The project uses a compiler that doesn't support C++ 2011[*]
2) The coding guidelines don't allow C++ 2011 constructs.
3) You've been hired to maintain legacy code

While conceding your first point about change being
disruptive, I'll point out that legacy code bases
usually compile fine with a C++ 2011 compiler.
At this 2013 date, part of the maintenance should be
updating the code to take advantage of C++ 2011. If
the transition to C++ 2011 hasn't already started,
I'd keep looking for another job.

I wouldn't. C++11 isn't a revolution. And there's more to programming
than staying on the bleeding edge WRT language features, even if it
would make things easier.

(C++98 /was/ a revolution, and a workplace which refuses to use those
features is broken. Yes, such places exist.)

/Jorgen

woodbrian77

I wouldn't. C++11 isn't a revolution. And there's more to programming

than staying on the bleeding edge WRT language features, even if it

would make things easier.

I can understand taking an offer for something like
that, but I'd keep looking for something better.

I liked Mike Copeland's "A Better Way" thread. It
helped me find some weak spots in my code. And as
the song about a better way says, "Reality is sharp
and cuts like a knife." So don't be afraid to let
a company know your leaving 3 days, 3 weeks, or
whenever after you started.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - many are the afflictions of
the righteous, but the L-RD delivers him from them all.
http://webEbenezer.net

woodbrian77

I can understand taking an offer for something like

that, but I'd keep looking for something better.

I liked Mike Copeland's "A Better Way" thread. It

helped me find some weak spots in my code. And as

the song about a better way says, "Reality is sharp

and cuts like a knife." So don't be afraid to let

a company know your leaving 3 days, 3 weeks, or
oops - you are leaving.