  1. eli m

    eli m Guest

    Do you guys have any suggestions for tiny projects that i could do to help me get familiar with c++?
    eli m, Mar 7, 2013

  2. eli m

    Guest

    On Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:41:40 AM UTC, eli m wrote:
    > Do you guys have any suggestions for tiny projects that i could do to help me get familiar with c++?

    No, but I suggest to use C++ 2011 rather than
    earlier versions. There's a lot of open source
    C++ code here --
    http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html
    ..

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - in G-d we trust.
    http://webEbenezer.net
    , Mar 7, 2013

  3. eli m

    Luca Risolia Guest

    On 07/03/2013 03:41, eli m wrote:
    > Do you guys have any suggestions for tiny projects that i could do
    > to help me get familiar with c++?

    "The C++ Programming Language" by Stroustrup includes many exercises for
    each chapter of the book. Each exercise is marked with a number, from 1
    to 4, indicating the level of difficulty (1 is few minutes, while 4 is
    1-2 days typically). Some personal solutions are here:
    http://www.linux-projects.org/listing/cpp_solutions/
    Luca Risolia, Mar 7, 2013
  4. eli m

    Guest

    On Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:16:37 PM UTC, Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > Until you get a real job,

    There are lots of employers using C++ 2011.

    >where you won't be able to use C++ 2011
    >
    > because:
    >

    > 1) The project uses a compiler that doesn't support C++ 2011[*]
    >
    > 2) The coding guidelines don't allow C++ 2011 constructs.
    >
    > 3) You've been hired to maintain legacy code

    While conceding your first point about change being
    disruptive, I'll point out that legacy code bases
    usually compile fine with a C++ 2011 compiler.
    At this 2013 date, part of the maintenance should be
    updating the code to take advantage of C++ 2011. If
    the transition to C++ 2011 hasn't already started,
    I'd keep looking for another job.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - so far G-d has helped us.
    http://webEbenezer.net
    , Mar 9, 2013
  5. eli m

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 2013-03-09, wrote:
    > On Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:16:37 PM UTC, Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >>
    >> Until you get a real job,

    > There are lots of employers using C++ 2011.
    >
    >>where you won't be able to use C++ 2011
    >>
    >> because:
    >>
    >> 1) The project uses a compiler that doesn't support C++ 2011[*]
    >> 2) The coding guidelines don't allow C++ 2011 constructs.
    >> 3) You've been hired to maintain legacy code

    > While conceding your first point about change being
    > disruptive, I'll point out that legacy code bases
    > usually compile fine with a C++ 2011 compiler.
    > At this 2013 date, part of the maintenance should be
    > updating the code to take advantage of C++ 2011. If
    > the transition to C++ 2011 hasn't already started,
    > I'd keep looking for another job.

    I wouldn't. C++11 isn't a revolution. And there's more to programming
    than staying on the bleeding edge WRT language features, even if it
    would make things easier.

    (C++98 /was/ a revolution, and a workplace which refuses to use those
    features is broken. Yes, such places exist.)

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Mar 11, 2013
  6. eli m

    Guest

    On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:40:25 AM UTC, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

    > I wouldn't. C++11 isn't a revolution. And there's more to programming
    >
    > than staying on the bleeding edge WRT language features, even if it
    >
    > would make things easier.

    I can understand taking an offer for something like
    that, but I'd keep looking for something better.

    I liked Mike Copeland's "A Better Way" thread. It
    helped me find some weak spots in my code. And as
    the song about a better way says, "Reality is sharp
    and cuts like a knife." So don't be afraid to let
    a company know your leaving 3 days, 3 weeks, or
    whenever after you started.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - many are the afflictions of
    the righteous, but the L-RD delivers him from them all.
    http://webEbenezer.net
    , Mar 11, 2013
  7. eli m

    Guest

    On Monday, March 11, 2013 4:38:32 PM UTC, wrote:
    > On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:40:25 AM UTC, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    >

    > > I wouldn't. C++11 isn't a revolution. And there's more to programming

    > > than staying on the bleeding edge WRT language features, even if it

    > > would make things easier.

    > I can understand taking an offer for something like
    >
    > that, but I'd keep looking for something better.
    >

    > I liked Mike Copeland's "A Better Way" thread. It
    >
    > helped me find some weak spots in my code. And as
    >
    > the song about a better way says, "Reality is sharp
    >
    > and cuts like a knife." So don't be afraid to let
    >
    > a company know your leaving 3 days, 3 weeks, or

    oops - you are leaving.
    , Mar 11, 2013