    for porting/maintaining an active project in a different language?

    thanks,
    eric

    Eric Kolve, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Eric Kolve

    darren kirby Guest

    --nextPart1153958033.UXOxImx7yL

    quoth the Eric Kolve:
    > I found a really nice package on CPAN called Image::ExifTool and I was
    > wondering if their is some clean way of calling Perl code from Ruby? I
    > couldn't find anything on rubyforge that did as good a job as this did.

    `perl somescript.pl`
    system("perl somescript.pl")

    Is the only way I can think of, but I don't suppose that meats your definit=
    ion=20
    of clean...

    > The other option is a port, but I am concerned about keeping a 60k line
    > perl module in sync with a ruby version. Does anyone have any advice
    > for porting/maintaining an active project in a different language?

    I ported a Perl lib to Ruby. It was not nearly ~60000 lines, more like ~800=
    =20
    but...

    I was actually trying to implement a spec, and was struggling with that, th=
    en=20
    I found the Perl library that implements the spec. To tell the truth, from=
    =20
    the beginning I was not that interested in cloning the Perl lib at all, I=20
    just used it as a starting point.

    I do not expect I will try to keep my lib in sync with the original Perl on=
    e=20
    in the slightest. It already carries the functionality I originally require=
    d,=20
    so at this point I will just plug away and add any new functionality as I=20
    find the time and motivation.

    So: I don't think you should necessarily resign yourself to keeping your po=
    rt=20
    strictly 'in sync' with the original. Just follow it to keep abreast of=20
    changes in exif format and whatnot. Otherwise, use the Perl code as a=20
    starting point like myself, then make it your own. If the code is=20
    useful/helpful enough, and you place it in rubyforge you may find yourself=
    =20
    getting some help from the community.=20

    2 cents...

    > thanks,
    > eric

    =2DDarren
    =2D-=20
    =2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972

    darren kirby, Jul 26, 2006