Existing libraries for chat + cam app

Karsten Wutzke

Hi all!

I'm currently assigned to reimplement a chat applet/application. Here
at our company we came to the conclusion most of the sources is
useless spaghetti code mixed with some useful portions. The main
communication was handled by years old IRC sources which also includes
several not-so-nice-bugs.

The software is supposed to run as a webapp/servlet, most likely on
Tomcat. Much GUI stuff has been prepared for the client side so far,
now I want to find out how to best go for a timely solution for this
chat app server wise.

Since Tomcat is a sub project of Jakarta, there might most definitely
be some libraries available that will reduce complexity and overall
development time. I need some way of defining a protocol to minimize
traffic and so on.

I suppose using HTTP as the protocol is not the best idea. The users
will send and receive sensitive data, support for webcam streams is a
must.

So, can anyone point me to some libraries that will "ease my pain"?

I want to pay attention to threading pretty much, since this is one of
those things that caused trouble in the old IRC sources...

TIA
Karsten