Existing libraries for chat + cam app

Discussion in 'Java' started by Karsten Wutzke, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Hi all!

    I'm currently assigned to reimplement a chat applet/application. Here
    at our company we came to the conclusion most of the sources is
    useless spaghetti code mixed with some useful portions. The main
    communication was handled by years old IRC sources which also includes
    several not-so-nice-bugs.

    The software is supposed to run as a webapp/servlet, most likely on
    Tomcat. Much GUI stuff has been prepared for the client side so far,
    now I want to find out how to best go for a timely solution for this
    chat app server wise.

    Since Tomcat is a sub project of Jakarta, there might most definitely
    be some libraries available that will reduce complexity and overall
    development time. I need some way of defining a protocol to minimize
    traffic and so on.

    I suppose using HTTP as the protocol is not the best idea. The users
    will send and receive sensitive data, support for webcam streams is a
    must.

    So, can anyone point me to some libraries that will "ease my pain"?

    I want to pay attention to threading pretty much, since this is one of
    those things that caused trouble in the old IRC sources...

    TIA
    Karsten

    Karsten Wutzke, Jun 21, 2007