exit status of remote commands

Ironhide

Hi,

I want to execute some commands on a remote machine through ssh and
get back their results; would ideally like get back the
1. exit status of the command executed remotely
2. stdout
3. stderr

All this I would like to do inside a perl script and get all of the
above 3 in 3 separate variables.
Can this be done?

p.s.: I have already tried the Net::SSH module; would be helpful if
you guys could suggest me other ways of doing this.

Ben Morrow

Quoth Ironhide said:
Hi,

I want to execute some commands on a remote machine through ssh and
get back their results; would ideally like get back the
1. exit status of the command executed remotely
2. stdout
3. stderr

All this I would like to do inside a perl script and get all of the
above 3 in 3 separate variables.
Can this be done?

Well, the obvious way is to run ssh(1) with something like IPC::Run...
p.s.: I have already tried the Net::SSH module; would be helpful if
you guys could suggest me other ways of doing this.

What was your problem with Net::SSH?

Ben

Peter Makholm

Ironhide said:
I want to execute some commands on a remote machine through ssh and
get back their results; would ideally like get back the
1. exit status of the command executed remotely
2. stdout
3. stderr

Try using IPC::Open3;

my($wtr, $rdr, $err);
$pid = open3($wtr, $rdr, $err, 'ssh user@host cmd')

# Work with the filehandles $wtr, $rdr and $err

waitpid($pid);
$exit = $? >> 8;

if $exit is 255 the error might be an error with the ssh command and
not you remote command. Otherwise it should be the exit status of you
remote command.

//Makholm

xhoster

Ironhide said:
Hi,

I want to execute some commands on a remote machine through ssh and
get back their results; would ideally like get back the
1. exit status of the command executed remotely
2. stdout
3. stderr

All this I would like to do inside a perl script and get all of the
above 3 in 3 separate variables.
Can this be done?

p.s.: I have already tried the Net::SSH module; would be helpful if
you guys could suggest me other ways of doing this.

What was wrong with Net::SSH? If you don't tell us what you found
unsuitable about Net::SSH, then how are we to know whether some other
module we might recommend suffers the same problem or not?

Xho

this fact.