    there something I'm missing to cause it to kill the process on exit?
    Thanks in advance for the help
    , Jan 24, 2007

    Also I forgot to mention, I KNOW this doesn't happen in release mode,
    in release mode the process kills itself as expected. I have checked
    all _DEBUG places and none of them cause it. I can tell release mode
    does as expected because the dll/libraries needed don't happen until
    much later in the process.

  3. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
    > program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
    > with release mode.

    Then you're asking in the wrong place, try a VC specific group.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jan 24, 2007

    Just hoping I could get a little help if anybody knows teh answer

    On Jan 24, 4:04 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
    > > program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
    > > with release mode. Then you're asking in the wrong place, try a VC specific group.

    > --
    > Ian Collins.
    , Jan 24, 2007
  5. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:

    Top posting doesn't help your quest.

    > On Jan 24, 4:04 pm, Ian Collins <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
    >>>program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
    >>>with release mode. Then you're asking in the wrong place, try a VC specific group.

    > Just hoping I could get a little help if anybody knows teh answer

    The regulars of platform specific groups are better qualified to answer
    questions specific to that platform.

    They may well post here as well, but this group is specifically for
    discussing C++ core language issues.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Jan 24, 2007
  6. * :
    > I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. ... MFC app

    Post to a Windows/Microsoft group; you're off-topic here.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    Alf P. Steinbach, Jan 24, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
    > program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
    > with release mode. I've looked for new ones and can't find them. My
    > problem is when I exit the program with the debug configuration
    > build(not while actually debugging the program) and only if it's still
    > processing data, if you go look in the task manager the process is
    > still running using all the memory and cpu as it was before I exited.
    > It is in a processor intensive loop(100%) and uses around 1 gb of
    > memory. This process never seems to end even after it should be
    > finished with the execution of the program.
    >
    > Basically I'm just wondering, using an MFC app in debug configuration,
    > what could cause the program to not exit when exit was clicked? Is
    > there something I'm missing to cause it to kill the process on exit?
    > Thanks in advance for the help

    If a program operates differently in debug mode and release mode it's
    almost always because you have a bug in your code. Something like an
    uninitialised variable. Could be anything really. When you have a bug
    your program often ceases to behave in a logical manner, so looking 'in
    all the _DEBUG places' is not likely to help much.

    Try the usual debugging techniques.

    John
    John Harrison, Jan 24, 2007
  8. John Harrison wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > Try the usual debugging techniques.

    In this case I would try code elimination, i.e. try cutting out sections
    of your code. The last piece of code you remove before the problem goes
    away is likely to be where the problem lies (but there are no guarantees).
    John Harrison, Jan 24, 2007