exiting debug process

tsmithcs

I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
with release mode. I've looked for new ones and can't find them. My
problem is when I exit the program with the debug configuration
build(not while actually debugging the program) and only if it's still
processing data, if you go look in the task manager the process is
still running using all the memory and cpu as it was before I exited.
It is in a processor intensive loop(100%) and uses around 1 gb of
memory. This process never seems to end even after it should be
finished with the execution of the program.

Basically I'm just wondering, using an MFC app in debug configuration,
what could cause the program to not exit when exit was clicked? Is
there something I'm missing to cause it to kill the process on exit?
Thanks in advance for the help

tsmithcs

Also I forgot to mention, I KNOW this doesn't happen in release mode,
in release mode the process kills itself as expected. I have checked
all _DEBUG places and none of them cause it. I can tell release mode
does as expected because the dll/libraries needed don't happen until
much later in the process.

Ian Collins

I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. I can't run this
program in release mode because the libraries/dll are not compatiable
with release mode.

Then you're asking in the wrong place, try a VC specific group.

Ian Collins

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Top posting doesn't help your quest.
Just hoping I could get a little help if anybody knows teh answer
The regulars of platform specific groups are better qualified to answer
questions specific to that platform.

They may well post here as well, but this group is specifically for
discussing C++ core language issues.

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines. ... MFC app

Post to a Windows/Microsoft group; you're off-topic here.

John Harrison

[...]

If a program operates differently in debug mode and release mode it's
almost always because you have a bug in your code. Something like an
uninitialised variable. Could be anything really. When you have a bug
your program often ceases to behave in a logical manner, so looking 'in
all the _DEBUG places' is not likely to help much.

Try the usual debugging techniques.

John

John Harrison

John said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
Try the usual debugging techniques.

In this case I would try code elimination, i.e. try cutting out sections
of your code. The last piece of code you remove before the problem goes
away is likely to be where the problem lies (but there are no guarantees).