    seem to exit out of it without closing terminal.

    I've tried all the usual suspects like ctrl-c, ctrl-d, esc. Any ideas
    on what I might be doing wrong?
    Ruby Fan, Sep 23, 2008

  2. On Sep 23, 2008, at 5:31 PM, Ruby Fan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've been avoiding using ri for my docs because when I type it I can't
    > seem to exit out of it without closing terminal.
    >
    > I've tried all the usual suspects like ctrl-c, ctrl-d, esc. Any ideas
    > on what I might be doing wrong?

    q?

    If you have a ':' prompt, you're in less (or your configured PAGER
    program).

    -Rob

    Rob Biedenharn, Sep 23, 2008

  3. Ruby Fan

    Ruby Fan Guest

    Fred Phillips wrote:
    > On Tue Sep 23 21:40:14 2008, Ruby Fan wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I've been avoiding using ri for my docs because when I type it I can't
    >> seem to exit out of it without closing terminal.
    >>
    >> I've tried all the usual suspects like ctrl-c, ctrl-d, esc. Any ideas
    >> on what I might be doing wrong?

    > ri uses less(1), press q to exit.

    That was it. Thanks!
    Ruby Fan, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Ruby Fan

    matt neuburg Guest

    Ruby Fan <> wrote:

    > Fred Phillips wrote:
    > > On Tue Sep 23 21:40:14 2008, Ruby Fan wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I've been avoiding using ri for my docs because when I type it I can't
    > >> seem to exit out of it without closing terminal.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried all the usual suspects like ctrl-c, ctrl-d, esc. Any ideas
    > >> on what I might be doing wrong?

    > > ri uses less(1), press q to exit.

    > That was it. Thanks!

    Try putting this line in your .bash_profile:

    alias ri='ri -f ansi -T'

    Much nicer behavior and display in Terminal. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-customizing.html
    matt neuburg, Sep 24, 2008
  5. Ruby Fan

    Ruby Fan Guest

    > Try putting this line in your .bash_profile:
    >
    > alias ri='ri -f ansi -T'
    >
    > Much nicer behavior and display in Terminal. m.

    I just put it in my .profile but didn't notice any difference.
    Ruby Fan, Sep 24, 2008
  6. Ruby Fan

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Sep 23, 2008, at 18:14 PM, matt neuburg wrote:
    > Ruby Fan <> wrote:
    >> Fred Phillips wrote:

    >>> ri uses less(1), press q to exit.

    >> That was it. Thanks!

    > Try putting this line in your .bash_profile:
    >
    > alias ri='ri -f ansi -T'
    >
    > Much nicer behavior and display in Terminal. m.

    Better:

    export RI=-T -f ansi
    Eric Hodel, Sep 24, 2008