Expandable properties in propertygrid not working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. I am trying to create expandable properties in the propertygrid for a custom
    control i am building but it wont work. I have derived my TypeConverter
    from ExpandableObjectoConverter. I have overridden :
    CanConvertFrom,ConvertFrom,ConvertTo,CanConvertTo. I know exactly what these
    do. I have read the docs thoroughly and properly implemented it all. Still
    the properties thats supposed to be expandable arent for some reason. I have
    been struggling with this for a few hours now. To simplify this i have
    created a small test application with my implementation. Can anybody give it
    a look and let me know where i went wrong and what i should be doing
    instead.
    Thanks

    Imports System.ComponentModel
    Imports System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization
    Imports System.Web.UI

    <DefaultProperty("Text"), _
    ToolboxData("<{0}:WebCustomControl1 runat=server></{0}:WebCustomControl1>")>
    _
    Public Class WebCustomControl1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl

    Dim _text As String

    <Bindable(True), Category("Appearance"), DefaultValue("")> Property
    [Text]() As String
    Get
    Return _text
    End Get

    Set(ByVal Value As String)
    _text = Value
    End Set
    End Property

    Protected Overrides Sub Render(ByVal output As
    System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter)
    output.Write([Text])
    End Sub

    End Class
    <TypeConverter(GetType(ExpandablePropertiesTypeConverter)),
    Category("Appearance"), _
    DescriptionAttribute("Two expandable properties")> _
    Public Class ExpandableProperties
    Private _sampleValue1 As Boolean = True
    Private _sampleValue2 As Boolean = True
    <DefaultValueAttribute(True), _
    Description("Expandable property 2")> _
    Public Property [sampleValue1]() As Boolean
    Get
    Return _sampleValue1
    End Get

    Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
    _sampleValue1 = Value
    End Set
    End Property

    <DefaultValueAttribute(True), _
    Description("Expandable property 2")> _
    Public Property [sampleValue2]() As Boolean
    Get
    Return _sampleValue2
    End Get

    Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
    _sampleValue2 = Value
    End Set
    End Property
    End Class

    ------------ Then in a seperate file i got the type converter class:
    ExpandablePropertiesTypeConverter.vb ----------------------------

    Imports System.ComponentModel
    Imports System.Globalization
    Public Class ExpandablePropertiesTypeConverter : Inherits
    ExpandableObjectConverter
    ' Overrides the CanConvertFrom method of TypeConverter.
    Public Overloads Overrides Function CanConvertFrom(ByVal context As
    ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal sourceType As Type) As Boolean
    If sourceType Is GetType(String) Then
    Return True
    End If
    Return MyBase.CanConvertFrom(context, sourceType)
    End Function
    ' Overrides the ConvertFrom method of TypeConverter.
    Public Overloads Overrides Function ConvertFrom(ByVal context As
    ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal culture As CultureInfo, ByVal value As Object)
    As Object
    If (TypeOf value Is String) Then
    Try
    Dim s As String = CStr(value)
    Dim colon As Integer = s.IndexOf(":")
    Dim comma As Integer = s.IndexOf(",")

    If (colon <> -1 AndAlso comma <> -1) Then
    Dim samplevalue1 As String = s.Substring(colon + 1, _
    (comma - colon - 1))

    colon = s.IndexOf(":", comma + 1)
    comma = s.IndexOf(",", comma + 1)

    Dim samplevalue2 As String = s.Substring(colon + 1, _
    (comma - colon - 1))

    Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties = New
    ExpandableProperties()

    control1.sampleValue1 = Boolean.Parse(samplevalue1)
    control1.sampleValue2 = Boolean.Parse(samplevalue2)

    Return control1
    End If
    Catch
    Throw New ArgumentException( _
    "Can not convert '" & CStr(value) & _
    "' to type windowAttributes")

    End Try
    End If
    Return MyBase.ConvertFrom(context, culture, value)

    End Function

    ' Overrides the ConvertTo method of TypeConverter.
    Public Overloads Overrides Function ConvertTo(ByVal context As
    ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal culture As CultureInfo, ByVal value As Object,
    ByVal destinationType As Type) As Object
    If (destinationType Is GetType(System.String) _
    AndAlso TypeOf value Is ExpandableProperties) Then

    Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties = CType(value,
    ExpandableProperties)
    Return "Sample1:" & control1.sampleValue1 & ", Sample2:" &
    control1.sampleValue2
    End If
    Return MyBase.ConvertTo(context, culture, value, destinationType)
    End Function

    Public Overloads Overrides Function CanConvertTo( _
    ByVal context As ITypeDescriptorContext, _
    ByVal destinationType As Type) As Boolean
    If (destinationType Is GetType(ExpandableProperties)) Then
    Return True
    End If
    Return MyBase.CanConvertFrom(context, destinationType)
    End Function
    End Class
    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 24, 2003

  2. If you want to diplay your properties in the VS.NET
    Property window you simply add some attributes before
    your property.

    [Browsable(true),Category("Behavior"),
    DefaultValue(""),
    Description("")]
    publuc string myProperty

    This will not work if you create a Web User control.

    I hope this is what you are looking for.

    /Fredrik Normén NSQUARED2

    ---------

    >Imports System.ComponentModel
    >Imports System.Globalization
    >Public Class ExpandablePropertiesTypeConverter : Inherits
    >ExpandableObjectConverter
    > ' Overrides the CanConvertFrom method of

    TypeConverter.
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function CanConvertFrom

    (ByVal context As
    >ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal sourceType As Type) As

    Boolean
    > If sourceType Is GetType(String) Then
    > Return True
    > End If
    > Return MyBase.CanConvertFrom(context, sourceType)
    > End Function
    > ' Overrides the ConvertFrom method of TypeConverter.
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function ConvertFrom

    (ByVal context As
    >ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal culture As CultureInfo,

    ByVal value As Object)
    >As Object
    > If (TypeOf value Is String) Then
    > Try
    > Dim s As String = CStr(value)
    > Dim colon As Integer = s.IndexOf(":")
    > Dim comma As Integer = s.IndexOf(",")
    >
    > If (colon <> -1 AndAlso comma <> -1) Then
    > Dim samplevalue1 As String =

    s.Substring(colon + 1, _

    (comma - colon - 1))

    > colon = s.IndexOf(":", comma + 1)
    > comma = s.IndexOf(",", comma + 1)
    >
    > Dim samplevalue2 As String =

    s.Substring(colon + 1, _

    (comma - colon - 1))

    > Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties

    = New
    >ExpandableProperties()
    >
    > control1.sampleValue1 = Boolean.Parse

    (samplevalue1)
    > control1.sampleValue2 = Boolean.Parse

    (samplevalue2)

    > Return control1
    > End If
    > Catch
    > Throw New ArgumentException( _
    > "Can not convert '" & CStr(value) & _
    > "' to type

    windowAttributes")

    > End Try
    > End If
    > Return MyBase.ConvertFrom(context, culture,

    value)

    > End Function
    >
    > ' Overrides the ConvertTo method of TypeConverter.
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function ConvertTo(ByVal

    context As
    >ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal culture As CultureInfo,

    ByVal value As Object,
    >ByVal destinationType As Type) As Object
    > If (destinationType Is GetType(System.String) _
    > AndAlso TypeOf value Is

    ExpandableProperties) Then

    > Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties = CType

    (value,
    >ExpandableProperties)
    > Return "Sample1:" & control1.sampleValue1

    & ", Sample2:" &
    >control1.sampleValue2
    > End If
    > Return MyBase.ConvertTo(context, culture, value,

    destinationType)
    > End Function
    >
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function CanConvertTo( _
    > ByVal context As

    ITypeDescriptorContext, _

    Fredrik Normén NSQUARED, Sep 24, 2003

  3. hi fredrik, this is not what I am looking for.

    "Fredrik Normén NSQUARED" <> wrote in message
    If you want to diplay your properties in the VS.NET
    Property window you simply add some attributes before
    your property.

    [Browsable(true),Category("Behavior"),
    DefaultValue(""),
    Description("")]
    publuc string myProperty

    This will not work if you create a Web User control.

    I hope this is what you are looking for.

    /Fredrik Normén NSQUARED2

    s.Substring(colon + 1, _

    (comma - colon - 1))

    > colon = s.IndexOf(":", comma + 1)
    > comma = s.IndexOf(",", comma + 1)
    >
    > Dim samplevalue2 As String =

    s.Substring(colon + 1, _

    (comma - colon - 1))

    > Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties

    = New
    >ExpandableProperties()
    >
    > control1.sampleValue1 = Boolean.Parse

    (samplevalue1)
    > control1.sampleValue2 = Boolean.Parse

    (samplevalue2)

    > Return control1
    > End If
    > Catch
    > Throw New ArgumentException( _
    > "Can not convert '" & CStr(value) & _
    > "' to type

    windowAttributes")

    > End Try
    > End If
    > Return MyBase.ConvertFrom(context, culture,

    value)

    > End Function
    >
    > ' Overrides the ConvertTo method of TypeConverter.
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function ConvertTo(ByVal

    context As
    >ITypeDescriptorContext, ByVal culture As CultureInfo,

    ByVal value As Object,
    >ByVal destinationType As Type) As Object
    > If (destinationType Is GetType(System.String) _
    > AndAlso TypeOf value Is

    ExpandableProperties) Then

    > Dim control1 As ExpandableProperties = CType

    (value,
    >ExpandableProperties)
    > Return "Sample1:" & control1.sampleValue1

    & ", Sample2:" &
    >control1.sampleValue2
    > End If
    > Return MyBase.ConvertTo(context, culture, value,

    destinationType)
    > End Function
    >
    > Public Overloads Overrides Function CanConvertTo( _
    > ByVal context As

    ITypeDescriptorContext, _

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Just in case nobody is looking at this thinking I want someone to make
    corrections to my code, this is not the case. The reason I put sample code
    is to show that I have followed whatever documentation microsoft had on
    expandable properties and its not working for me. Has anybody dealt with
    this before. That is when trying to implement expandable properties and it
    dont work. I dont end up with errors either, those properties never show in
    the propertygrid. Not as expandable properties or the normal expanded
    properties. Just nada.

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Will somebody from Microsoft reply. It is important that I be able to
    implement expandable properties. If I've been doing it right then maybe
    someone knows of a workaround I could use to get this running for me? For
    all I can think of right now is that this could be a bug with the vb.net
    version.
    I'm already behind schedule. I am desperate.
    Microsoft !!!
    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 25, 2003

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 25, 2003
  7. Why am i being ignored. I see the guys from microsoft responding but wont
    aknowledge my post.

    It cant be so hard to reproduce my problem. I even included a sample project
    to simplify. Still no answer
    Alessandro Zifiglio, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Alessandro Zifiglio

    Memi Lavi Guest

    "Alessandro Zifiglio" <> wrote in message news:<2RCcb.1033$>...
    > Why am i being ignored. I see the guys from microsoft responding but wont
    > aknowledge my post.
    >
    > It cant be so hard to reproduce my problem. I even included a sample project
    > to simplify. Still no answer

    If you want the property to appear in the property grid, you must
    declare public property in the 'WebCustomControl1' control with the
    type of 'ExpandableProperties'. In your code there is no property for
    that class.

    Also, be sure to 'New' the private variable of the property when
    declaring it, or else you won't be able to access the property in the
    property grid.
    Memi Lavi, Oct 7, 2003