experience with emacs and python-mode

Discussion in 'Python' started by Leo, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Leo

    Leo Guest

    hi all

    i'm new to python and new to the group and i want to develop python with
    emacs :) i try to use python-mode.el version 4.6.

    does somebody else uses this? or what is your recommendation for editing
    python code in emacs?

    btw: i have a little customisation problem with python mode:

    after running a script with py-execute-import-or-reload the cursor is in the
    output window but i want to have it back in the source code. is there a
    option i can tweak?

    thanks for all answers,

    leooo

    --
    recursive (ri-ker-siv): adj.; see "recursive"
    Leo, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Leo wrote:

    > hi all
    >
    > i'm new to python and new to the group and i want to develop python with
    > emacs :) i try to use python-mode.el version 4.6.
    >
    > does somebody else uses this? or what is your recommendation for editing
    > python code in emacs?

    My recommendation is, to only edit code in emacs. I execute
    it in an xterm. C-c C-g is mapped to goto-line. I prefere to
    jump to the position of an error in the code myself.
    Thomas =?ISO-8859-15?Q?G=FCttler?=, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Leo

    Syver Enstad Guest

    "Leo" <> writes:

    > hi all
    >
    > i'm new to python and new to the group and i want to develop python with
    > emacs :) i try to use python-mode.el version 4.6.
    > does somebody else uses this?

    Yes, been using it for years now. Very nice, but has its quirks, the
    most annoying being perhaps that triple quoted strings are not
    supported. Well in trivial cases it looks like they are supported
    because "" is treated as one string and then the final " is the
    beginning of a new string and then " is the end and then "" is an
    empty string again.
    Syver Enstad, Jul 1, 2003
  4. Syver Enstad <> writes:

    > "Leo" <> writes:
    >
    >> hi all
    >>
    >> i'm new to python and new to the group and i want to develop python with
    >> emacs :) i try to use python-mode.el version 4.6.
    >> does somebody else uses this?

    > Yes, been using it for years now. Very nice, but has its quirks, the
    > most annoying being perhaps that triple quoted strings are not
    > supported. Well in trivial cases it looks like they are supported
    > because "" is treated as one string and then the final " is the
    > beginning of a new string and then " is the end and then "" is an
    > empty string again.

    Although it is possible to work around this limitation.
    It may be worthwile to use a newer version.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Jul 1, 2003