Experience with vb2py?

Discussion in 'Python' started by asdf sdf, May 3, 2004.

  1. asdf sdf

    asdf sdf Guest

    vb2py sounds terric but i don't want to be the first guineau pig who
    gambles his project on it.

    i have a large VB project lying around that may have to be upgraded. i
    would love to see it go to python.

    anybody have experience with vb2py, the vb to python converter?

    how solid is it? how complete?

    my VB project use custom controls, is a multi-tier ActiveX project, with
    a custom (non-ASP) architecture, using sockets and a COM component on IIS.

    is vb2py ready for this scale?

    i see that vb2py converts to pythoncard. that raises concerns because
    i'm not aware that pythoncard is suitable for large, complex, multipage
    forms containing hundreds of controls.

    can vb2py handle that kind of conversion?

    asdf sdf, May 3, 2004

  2. asdf sdf

    Peter Maas Guest

    asdf sdf wrote:
    > vb2py sounds terric but i don't want to be the first guineau pig who
    > gambles his project on it.
    >
    > i have a large VB project lying around that may have to be upgraded. i
    > would love to see it go to python.

    It's reasonable to ask for opinions but if you want to use it for
    a large project you should experiment with it anyway. Create a little
    hello world dialog and try to convert it. Populate it with more
    complicated controls, add database and network connections and try to
    convert it again. My bet is that vb2py won't do *all* of the work for
    you. I once tried to convert a medium sized project (25 kloc) from
    vb6 to vb.net and the migration assistant supplied by MS aborted after
    a 3 hours run. Python and VB are much more different so I assume that
    vb2py saves the low level typing work like converting loops, ifs and
    defs which is very valuable but the high level conversions that require
    to understand the code will probably be up to you.

    Please don't forget to report your results in c.l.py because
    i don't want to be the first guinea pig who gambles his project
    on it. :)

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

    Peter Maas

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
    Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail

    Peter Maas, May 4, 2004

  3. asdf sdf

    asdf sdf Guest

    Peter Maas wrote:
    > asdf sdf wrote:
    >

    > > i have a large VB project lying around that may have to be upgraded. i
    > > would love to see it go to python.

    > It's reasonable to ask for opinions but if you want to use it for
    > a large project you should experiment with it anyway. Create a little
    > hello world dialog and try to convert it. Populate it with more
    > complicated controls, add database and network connections and try to
    > convert it again. My bet is that vb2py won't do *all* of the work for
    > you. I once tried to convert a medium sized project (25 kloc) from
    > vb6 to vb.net and the migration assistant supplied by MS aborted after
    > a 3 hours run. Python and VB are much more different so I assume that
    > vb2py saves the low level typing work like converting loops, ifs and
    > defs which is very valuable but the high level conversions that require
    > to understand the code will probably be up to you.

    certainly a detailed investigation would be required before making any
    project committments.

    realistically, if a bunch of people are not already having success
    converting minor projects then it isn't ready for the big ones yet.
    vb2py is attempting something difficult. in my experience with
    conversion programs, everytime you scale it up, you shake out some test
    cases you never thought of. i'm sure that applies here too.

    asdf sdf, May 4, 2004
  4. asdf sdf

    MetalOne Guest

    I tried to use vb2py about a year ago for a project of about 15,000
    lines. vb2py was not ready for that kind of a task. I encountered
    problem after problem. The author of the package was extremely
    helpful and glad to here about the problems. He seemed willing to
    almost immediately fix any problems that I had. However, I was on a
    very tight deadline and after a few days of experimenting with vb2py
    it was clear that it was not going to work for me.

    On another note, the VB code that I was working with was unbelievably
    bad. I found that I could reduce the amount of code from between 5
    lines to 1 to about 30 lines to 1 depending upon the code sections.
    Frequently this entailed completely different solutions to the
    problems. The author of the VB code had absolutely no idea how to
    factor out any kind of redundancy in the code.

    The vb2py translations did not produce particularly optimized Python
    code for the VB code. It also became clear that if I wanted the
    project code in Python that rewriting the code by hand would be vastly
    better than automated translations. So much so that I could not
    recommend the automatic translation even if it worked.

    In the end, the project was cancelled. Bad VB code was deemed better
    than spending money to fix the code.

    MetalOne, May 4, 2004