Experience with Windows Movie Maker?

ross

I am posting WMV files on web sites. I find that I can only use the file
once in a site. When I try to use the file in another place.the .wmv will
not function. Good fortune when using the file on Internet except when
trying to duplicate it in another place in the same web site. Tried changing
the name and making copies and storing them in another folder to fool it,
but no dice. Any advice?. The movie file is on www.seelenexa.com Thanks for
your attention, Dick Ross

cwdjrxyz

ross said:
I am posting WMV files on web sites. I find that I can only use the file
once in a site. When I try to use the file in another place.the .wmv will
not function. Good fortune when using the file on Internet except when
trying to duplicate it in another place in the same web site. Tried changing
the name and making copies and storing them in another folder to fool it,
but no dice. Any advice?. The movie file is on www.seelenexa.com Thanks for
your attention, Dick Ross

The url is only to a frame set page, but I was able to find
http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/seelenexa/index.htm and view the source
code that gives the link to the wmv. The page is working in quirks
mode. It is html 4.01 transitional and has 29 validation errors when
you take it to the W3C validator. Thus the first step is to clean up
the page to get it to validate. After that, perhaps it will be more
easy to find out what is going on. Using a frame page might or might
not have something to do with it. The wmv is being referenced only with
an old fashioned embed code that has never been part of official html.
The modern trend is to use an ActiveX object for the WMP with an embed
path within it for those browsers that do not support ActiveX. This
works usually, but the embed within the object is still illegal html.
It is quite possible to use only objects without illegal embeds to get
a wmp to play on most modern browsers.

Spartanicus

ross said:
Re: Experience with Windows Movie Maker?

Use it if you must to create the video, but don't use it to produce the
HTML code.
I am posting WMV files on web sites. I find that I can only use the file
once in a site. When I try to use the file in another place.the .wmv will
not function. Good fortune when using the file on Internet except when
trying to duplicate it in another place in the same web site. Tried changing
the name and making copies and storing them in another folder to fool it,
but no dice. Any advice?. The movie file is on www.seelenexa.com

No it isn't, it's on http://00673d3.netsolhost.com/seelenexa/index.htm

Configure your web server to send the correct mime type:

GET /seelenexa/media/bestbbqforweb.wmv HTTP/1.1

Ditch the embedding, link instead:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

Spartanicus

Please do not top post.

ross said:
Why would the code work for one page and not the other?

Contrary to hyped praises sung about alt.html'ers, we are not
clairvoyant. Post an URL of one that "doesn't work" plus one that does
and mention what browser you observed this with and we might be able to
help.

ross

I am not sure what top post means... I apologize if I made a error in
protocol.

I will try to ask for help the way you have instructed. thank you, Dick Ross

Ed Mullen

ross said:
I hope I figure this out because I could sure use your help.

It means put your reply UNDER the previously quoted message text. Like
just did (and also re-ordered your quoted reply). TOP POST = putting
your reply at the top of the message. BOTTOM POST = putting your reply
AFTER the quoted message text. Kay?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Jonathan N. Little

ross said:
I hope I figure this out because I could sure use your help.

top post, lets see, try braking it down. You do know what 'top' means
right? As opposed to 'bottom'? And 'post' as in mail or message? Hint,
when you 'post' don't do it at the 'top' above the quoted material, but
*below*

Or better yet, 'snip' or remove the bits of the quoted material that you
will not be replying to and then intersperse your remarks below each bit
of quoted material. Then there is a clear direct association of your
remarks to the quoted material.

cwdjrxyz

Spartanicus said:
Use it if you must to create the video, but don't use it to produce the
HTML code.

For creating a .wmv video file for the web, I suggest you consider the
free Windows Media Encoder described at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-E496-465A-BBA9-B2F1182CDF24&displaylang=en
.. In a typical case, you might capture some video from whatever source
you have with a video capture card or external capture device. It is
most usual to capture as a high resolution .mpg video file. There are
many programs that can be used to edit .mpg movie files, if need be.
Then you use the Windows Media Encoder to convert the .mpg video file
to a .wmv file suited for the web. If you are wishing to stream
(progressive download) the video, the encoder allows you to select bit
rates best suited for dialup, low end broadband or high end broadband.
Or you can make 3 .wmv files for different bit rates and allow the user
to select the best one for the type of isp they have.

The Windows Media Encoder can be used for many other things, and you
can even use it to run your own streaming radio or video web station.
However, that use is for those who have much money to spend, because
the high speed connection from your computer to a streaming media
server and rental of the server is very expensive indeed.